1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Is this Franco-Provençal?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Hulalessar, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    I am in the middle of reading Clochemerle. The fictitious town is in Beaujolais which appears to be towards the western edge of the Franco-Provençal area. A few examples of the local language appear in the novel:

Hé, Bourdillat, fès va que t'est tourdze n'heume de Clotzmerle! Pisse le parmi, Bourdillat!

Dze me sins pecher quemint à vongt ans!

Al lisse te n'ardoise quemint la piau de coisse de na dzoune! Cin te sigrole dins la bregue, il peu fourt que ta!

Is this Franco-Provençal or some other Gallo-Romance language?

2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Yes, it is Franco-Provençal (Arpitan), with some morphophonological traits typical of the Beaujolais region.

Michel, Claude. 2004. "Patois et français régional dans Clochemerle de Gabriel Chevallier." Revue de Linguistique Romane 69 (271-272): 475–497.

3. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    Thank you.

Apart from the Arpitan (which is in fact translated in footnotes) I confess I am having a little difficulty following some passages.

4. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Most of the article I cited is in fact devoted to the regional French expressions in the novel, so it may be of use to you. And you can always post your questions in the French forums.

5. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    I cannot seem to find the article on line.