is to/goin to

Discussion in 'English Only' started by friedric, Dec 7, 2012.

1. friedric Senior Member

Polska
    polski
    Dear all,

I wrote this:

"He felt as he is to hear the headlights",

and its looks grammatically solid to me, although I know nothing and find nothing on the net about the "is to" construction. I guess "going to hear" would be safe solution, but I don't think it fits well, if the person in question is 100% certain that he will hear the headlights.
    What do you think?

2. b3n5p34km4n Junior Member

American English
    How does one hear headlights? Is this a metaphor? I don't understand that, please elaborate.

But "is to" is only used, as far as I know, with analogies. (example: Japan is to Tokyo as Canada is to Ottawa)

3. Corky Ringspot Senior Member

English - England
    Friedric, your sentence really doesn't mean anything. The grammar isn't solid, I'm afraid, and I have no idea what you're trying to say. Can you explain?

4. Corky Ringspot Senior Member

English - England
    Or in a construction such as: "The President is to give a speech at 5pm" (which implies either futurity or obligation, or both)

5. friedric Senior Member

Polska
    polski
    Sorry for not explaining enough. I am looking for an expression for the inevitable situation.
    As for context, lets say "The quietest place he's ever been. He felt as he was to hear the headlights".

6. b3n5p34km4n Junior Member

American English
    I think we will still need more. "Headlights" only refers to the lights on the front of a car. Is he sitting in the middle of a deserted road in the middle of the night? More context please?

7. friedric Senior Member

Polska
    polski
    Yes, it is dark, solitary place. He is out of the car. And to explain better what I am trying to do. To express that something in the past was inevitable to happen, but we do not know whether it happen or not.

8. b3n5p34km4n Junior Member

American English
    Maybe you want to say that something is ABOUT to happen? This means right at the point at which whatever will occur is going to occur. Or that something is BOUND to happen? This is when something will happen no matter what, or like you said, is inevitable. How do these sound? However, I still do not know the significance of the dark place.

9. friedric Senior Member

Polska
    polski
    Dark place gives us the headlights. I think that it is more "about" than "bound" to happen, but, in this case, it is only a personal, subjective feeling. What is more important, is the usage of "is to". I know the usage of "was to", so I think that "is to" could be used in some situation.