is Tomorrow/ will be tomorrow

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ofriendragon, Jul 12, 2010.

1. 121、——Tomorrow ____ my birthday. I’d like you and Jane to come.
    ——I’m not sure if she ____ free.

、will be; is
    B、is going to; is
    C、is; is
    D、is; will be
    Key D

I've googled out a lot of "Tomorrow will be my birthday", so I think both D and A work, am I right?

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

You've got it. Both "A" and "D" work here.
  3. tomtombp Senior Member

As there are two gaps to fill -and because only one of the options is expected to be correct in these types of tests- only "A" works here I think:

Tomorrow _will be_ my birthday.
    I’d like you and Jane to come.
    I’m not sure if she _is_ free.

While "Tomorrow is my birthday" is ok, "if she will be free" doesn't sound good.
  4. but I think the if-clause here is an object clause, not a conditional clause
  5. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Pardon me, but why isn't "C" correct here? It sounds very idiomatic to me:

Tomorrow is my birthday. I’d like you and Jane to come.
    ——I’m not sure if she is free [to come tomorrow].

(By the way, "Tomorrow will be my birthday," while not grammatically wrong, strikes me as considerably less natural. It's also far less common on Google.)
  6. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

I'm all for answer "C".
  7. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I agree that two gaps and one right answer, but disagree about which is right! :confused:

Tomorrow is my birthday and Jane will be free seem the best verb options for me. The birthday being more certain than her freedom.
  8. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Baaad item, folks.
  9. tomtombp Senior Member

Thanks suzi_br. What about is _ is as others supposed? Where/why does that one fail?
  10. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Suzi br,
    the uncertainty about her being free is not conveyed by "will be" but by "I'm not sure".
    Anyway the item is still very baaadly designed.
  11. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Giorgio, yes the uncertainty is conveyed by "I'm not sure", but that doesn't mean the verb choice doesn't have to match the idea!

When something is uncertain then using the present tense seems wrong to me. Will she be free of wont she? We will know if she is free at the time!
  12. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    When we don't know what the future is going to be is seems wrong to me to use IS. "Will be" works best to my ear.
  13. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    I'm sure Jane knows now whether she is busy tomorrow or not. "You" just hasn't asked her yet.
  14. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    A,C and D are all possible, to my mind.

As Giorgio says, it's a badly-constructed question:mad:.
  15. Dijvid New Member

16. Dijvid New Member

All choices are not incorrect, grammatically. But it is the way that native speakers of English conceptualize the event that determines what is correct and natural. If you ask Americans, you will find out that many of them use choice B.
  17. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Assuming the choices have been transcribed correctly, no American would say "Tomorrow is going to my birthday." B is the only truly wrong answer here.
    (Dijvid, you can respond in the same post where you quote someone, as I did here; you don't need two separate posts.)