1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ISIS/Daesh/Daish داعش

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by ya7eef, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ya7eef Junior Member

english uk
    Hi there guys,

Can anybody please explain the meaning of the word: داعش

Context is below:

داعش ع راس الاسد...من فوق كمان....

Thanks for your help!

2. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
  3. ya7eef Junior Member

english uk
    Ahhhh okay - thank you!

4. camerash Junior Member

Arabic-English
    داعش vs داعس
    داعش(Daesh) is acronym for Islamic state in Iraq and Syria which is a extremist fighting group that originate in Iraq and now is fighting in the north east of Syria and most of the Syrian hate it and against it especially their leaders and it is worse than Qaeda.

داعس(daes) is noun means stepping on
    داعس على راس الأسد(Daes ala ras alasad) means I am gonna step on the Assad's head which means I am gonna defeat Assad big time and humiliate him

I hope that Syrian people achieve their dream and defeat Assad and all other dictators.

5. knowledge123 Senior Member

Polish
    Hi. Does anyone know what the word ''Daish'' means ? I think, it is Levantine Arabic...
    I often hear this word being used by rebels in Syria(Secular rebels) against Islamists from the ''Islamic State of Iraq and Shaam''.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. abdu-ki Senior Member

do you mean DA'ESH ? if yes it is a short form of الدولة الاسلامية في العراق و الشام
    دولة = د
    الإسلامية = ا
    العراق = ع
    الشام = ش
    the Islamic state of Iraq and Sham

7. knowledge123 Senior Member

Polish
    ok. That's it. Thank You :)

8. Matat Senior Member

English-Arabic
    abdu-ki got it. Just to add, DA'ESH (داعش) is a terrorist organization referred to in English as the Islamic State of Iraq and Sham (ISIS) or Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

I believe the "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" is known as Daesh in Arabic.

How can I write 'Daesh'? How is the word pronounced exactly?

Best

Simon

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    Hi,

It's داعش pronounced daa3ish.

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, super.

12. callao New Member

English USA
    As is well known, the acronym DA’ESH ( داعش) stands for الدولة الإسلامية في العراق والشام (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant)

Supposedly the term ( داعش) has a bad connotation because (supposedly) the term means something like “ crushed, down-trodden, to trample etc) in Arabic.

But Wehr does not have دعــش at all. Does it exist?

What I do find in Wehr is دعــس with the meaning of “trample, run over, crush” etc. but the final letter is a س not a ش

So what’s the story with DA’ESH ( داعش ) from a native speaker’s viewpoint? Does it really "mean" anything as an independent term? Does it exist at all?

Any comments much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. Rob-san New Member

Yes, the word داعش exists and but it's simply an acronym for الدولة الإسلامية في العراق والشام
    You can derive no verb from it.
    It does remind of the verb دعس and the noun-subject *اسم الفاعل* of it "داعس" though, but that's because of its pronounciation only.