ister vs. istiyor

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Arabus, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Arabus Senior Member

United States

-Ben çikolata isterim.
    -Ben çikolata istiyorum.

What is the difference if there is one?
  2. murattug Senior Member

Ben çikolata istiyorum = I want chocolate now (give me chocolate)
    Ben çikolata isterim = I always want chocolate (including now)
  3. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    It seems that ister can also be used as a future tense, so çikolata ister misin? does not mean "do you always want chocolate" but rather it means "will you have chocolate (now)?"
  4. stonerain Junior Member

I have never used or heard that 'isterim'. I don't know which context
    we use 'istemek' in present tense. We rather use, 'istiyorum'. But for
    questions, we use. Like your 'çikolata' example

I don't think 'çikolata ister misin?' has future meaning. It refers
    continuous meaning.

5. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    I have noticed also that the -iyor conjugation can be used in place of the -r conjugation.

For example, when someone asks "ne enstrüman çalıyorsın?" this does not necessarily mean "what instrument are you playing now?" but it can also mean "what instrument do you play?"

So it seems that the use of the -iyor and -r conjugations can interchange sometimes.
  6. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

The number one mistake that both the learners of Turkish and the Turkish learners of English make is thinking that the English simple present tense equates to the Turkish Aorist, which is more often than not a terribly misguiding oversimplification. A very simple sentence might require different tenses in English and Turkish:
    En: I run every Saturday.
    Tr: Her cumartesi koşuyorum. (Every Saturday, I'm running.)

The Aorist suits best when used as the follow-up of a conditional phrase: Eğer bu cumartesi yağmur yağmazsa, koşarım. (lit.: If this Saturday it doesn't rain, I run.)

So, in my mind at least, when someone says Piyano çalıyorum, he means he plays it generally. If he says piyano çalarım, it's probably used in the sense that: If need be, I could play the piano. / If you ask for it, I can play for you. / If things go wrong, I could play it.

With the same logic, Ben çikolata istiyorum means 'I want chocolate, no matter what. I want it.'; whereas Çikolata isterim sounds more like 'I could ask for chocolate if there is any.' / 'If I have the chance, then, yes I want some.'

In fact the future tense (will) is a much better match for the aorist. It's used in sudden decisions:
    - Şurayı imzalar mısınız? -- (Could you sign here?)
    - Tamam, birazdan yaparım. -- (OK, I'll do it in a minute.)
  7. Arabus Senior Member

United States