1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

It´s only just not painful

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Misionerita, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Hola! Quisiera saber si estoy entendiendo bien esta frase, la traduje como: "Es de todo, menos doloroso"
    Es correcto?

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Es una posibilidad. ¿Podríamos tener un poco de contexto?

3. Little Chandler

Little Chandler Senior Member

La Coruña
    español (ESP)
    Yo más bien lo entiendo como "es casi doloroso" o "casi hace daño" (literalmente sería algo así como "es sólo por poco no doloroso"). Pero lo mejor sería que algún nativo nos explicara el sentido para poder estar seguros de la traducción, porque la frase es un poco rarilla.

4. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Se trata de una escena erótica en un ascensor:
    Before I know it, he´s got both of my hands in one of his in a vice-like grip above my head, and he´s pinning me to the wall using his hips. Holy shit. His other hand grabs my ponytail and yanks down, bringing my face up, and his lips are on mine. It´s onñy just not painful.
    My version:
    Antes de darme cuenta, me sujeta ambas manos con una de las suyas como en una especie de pinza, por encima de mi cabeza, y me inmoviliza contra la pared con sus caderas. Mierda. Toma mi cola de caballo con su otra mano y estira hacia abajo, haciendo que mi cara se levante, y posa sus labios sobre los míos. Es de todo, menos doloroso.

What do you think?

5. Spanish Clutz

Spanish Clutz Senior Member

Más contexto podría ser útil. :)

Para mí, "It's only just not painful", no tiene sentido. Lo siento.

6. Spanish Clutz

Sorry, didn't see your post before I sent mine.

I'm writing this in English because I'm very slow in Spanish.

I believe the meaning is that it's (only) not just painful (it's humiliating, degrading...). I'm sorry that I can't do this in Spanish, but I hope that my interpretation can help you with your translation efforts. :)

It might help to know what comes next.

7. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Thanks Spanish clutz, but I still don´t get the meaning clearly, but I think it could be near.
    This is what comes next: I moan into his mouth, giving his tongue an opening. He takes full advantage, his tongue expertly exploring my mouth.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. Spanish Clutz

There's another possibility, depending on 'what comes next'. "It's only just not painful" can mean she's experiencing the sense of having left her body in order to cope with the current reality. She's aware that all these painful things are happening to her, but she's just not feeling them.

9. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    But I think she is actually enjoying it. It is kinf of sadomasoquismo (bondage?)

10. Spanish Clutz

Mmmm....

What 'comes next' is more of the same. Unfortunately, we're not getting to hear more of what she is thinking/feeling.

I think my second interpretation is more on target only because, for me, there appears to be the sense of an on-looker relating the experience although it is written in the first person.

Pero, otra vez, esto es solamente mi opinión. :)

¡Buena suerte!

11. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Thanks! I still don´t know how to translate it into Spanish, it is a strange phrase, isn`t it? Can you say it in other words?

12. Spanish Clutz

Lo siento; no vi tu último aporte otra vez.

Posible, tienes razón, porque tienes el contexto. : )

13. Spanish Clutz

Okay, with the context I have, the reason I think she is having an "out of body" experience is because of the "Holy shit" comment.

I'm working on other words for you, but I'm slow, so please just bare with me. :)

14. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Don´t worry, I´m patient. Thanks for helping me!

15. Spanish Clutz

Solamente, no estoy aquí; no hay dolor.

Pero lo que piensas es la respuesta correcta. :)

16. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    ...it's anything/everything but painful.

17. Spanish Clutz

Sorry, I was being 'too English'.

Aunque, no estoy aquí; no hay dolor.

18. Spanish Clutz

Wow! If Chileno is correct, then perhaps this fits with your 'sadomasoquismo' interpretation.

19. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Entonces está bien mi traducción? Es todo, excepto doloroso?

20. Spanish Clutz

To me, the "Holy Shit'' comment sounds like she's scared and surprised. I believe that your answer lies in additional context.

But you and Chileno know two languages, and I only know one, so trust your judgement. :)

21. Misionerita Senior Member

SPANISH ARGENTINA
    Well, thanks a lot for your help people! I´ll tell you later how it goes.
    Good night!

22. Spanish Clutz

Hi again Misionerita,

It's hard for me to let go of a puzzle. I think that's why I like Spanish so much.

Unfortunately, my "other words" for you before were my interpretation in Spanish words. I don't think that was very helpful, and I'm sorry about that.

Although this isn't my type of story, I think part of what makes it good writing is that we don't know what she is feeling. At this point it is a mystery.

Perhaps these words are a closer match to the context and preserve the mystery: Only, there is no pain. (and the reader keeps reading because he/she wants to know why).

Buena suerte. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  23. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    Perdón, pero recién leí el resto del contexto dado...

La traducción debiera ser "...solo que no duele/no es doloroso"

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  24. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I agree with Little Chandler. However much I go over the other interpretations, I just can't see them. Only just is like por poco. So it is not actually painful , but it is on the verge of being painful. If we really are talking about sadomasochism, I suppose that teasing, borderline sensation might be found exciting :confused:.
    "Es de todo, menos doloroso" - I think that would translate as "It's anything but painful". By no means the same, to my way of thinking.

25. Spanish Clutz

Mmmm...

I did some research on 'por poco', http://www.linguee.com/spanish-english/translation/por+poco.html , and of course I could be absolutely 100% incorrect, but I don't hear it. I don't know, but I think if a native speaker wanted to say this, he/she would just say, "it's almost painful."

Again, just guessing, but I think the somewhat odd "It's only just not painful" expression is an expression of stress, confusion, terror and surprise.

It's (it is) only (just) just not painful. (I, the reader, am thinking the same thing as the character - why isn't this painful? I don't 'get' (understand) it?)

Again, just my interpretation. :)

26. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    It would really help to know which is the original version... ;)

27. Little Chandler

Little Chandler Senior Member

La Coruña
    español (ESP)
    From googling the sentence (and the whole passage), it seems it's been taken from the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E. L. James.

For what it's worth, that's the way it's been translated into...

(Spanish) Spanish (Grijalbo): Casi me hace daño.
    French (JC Lattès): C'est presque douloureux.
    Italian (Mondadori): Non fa male.
    (Brasilian) Portuguese (Intrínseca): Não é exatamente doloroso.

So everything points in the same direction...

[I know this is the Spanish-English forum, but I think the way it's been translated may be relevant here -- anyway, feel free to moderate :)].

28. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    So, "It´s only just not painful" is correct?! :confused:

29. Spanish Clutz

Wow! Muchas gracias Little Chandler. And I'm impressed with your linguistical knowledge! :)

In answer to your question, Chileno, I've never heard this exact expression before, and it does sound odd to my ears.

I've heard things like, "It's only just one bad grade," (in other words, it's only (merely) just (only) one bad grade; don't worry about it), or more commonly people say, "It's just (only) one bad grade."

I've also heard, "It's only just me" (in other words, it's only (just ) just (simply) me - not anybody else, you can relax).

I applied this same colloquial knowledge to "It's only just not painful" (It's only (just) just (simply ?) not painful - I don't understand it; why isn't it painful?)

Anyway, no te preocupes, Chileno, people don't go around saying, "It's only just not painful."

Otra vez, un buen trabajo, Little Chandler. :)

30. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    Thank you Spanish Clutz. Now that you say "It's only just me" is that I "recognize" it. The construction of it becomes "weird" when used in another way. :)