1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

It’s his clothes

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JFP_sunny, Feb 11, 2013.

1. JFP_sunny New Member

rumano
    Hello, everybody!

I am new on this forum and I have a question regarding the word "clothes". I understand that this word has no singular form, so we should use, for instance, "there are lot of clothes". Anyway, as I´ve seen a few websites where they were saying that "clothes" is plural and singular in the same time, I have a doubt about this phrase: " The clothes belong to Peter. It´s his clothes." I have a feeling that something is wrong here (even if I found the phrase in a website which teaches English and provide English exercises).
    Specifically, if "the clothes belong " (no "-s" at the end of the verb) it´s clear we´re talking about plural. But why, then, "it is his clothes" and not "they are his clothes"...??!!
    Could you clear my doubt, please?
    Thank you very much!!

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum, JFP

Please tell us where you saw this odd combination of sentences, i.e. the source.

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello and welcome JFP_sunny. :)

The discussion in this previous thread may answer your question: clothes [singular/plural]

If it doesn't and you would still like to ask about the sentence you found, I agree with sdgraham. If we are going to discuss this sentence, we should know where you saw it. :)

4. JFP_sunny New Member

rumano
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    The relevant text from the language-worksheets.com web site is
    The possessive adjective is correct. The sentence is wrong. Clothes is plural in this sentence.

6. JFP_sunny New Member

rumano
    Thank you, Andygc!

7. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    However, don't think that "It's his clothes" must always be wrong.

"What's in that bag?" - "It's his clothes" is fine. The subject of both sentences is "what", which is singular.