It can be found here.

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by fuzzy4peaches, Jun 25, 2013.

1. fuzzy4peaches New Member

Canada
    Canadian English
    Hello Wordreference forums,

I'm somewhat dumbfounded as to how I would construct the sentence "It can be found here."

Would it be "Es kann hier gefunden werden." or "Es kann hier gefunden sein."? Or something else entirely? In context, it would be an answer to the question "Wo kann ich dieses Buch finden?" I know there are probably other ways to ask/answer this question and avoiding such a construct, but my focus is on this construction "(is able to be) can be found..."

I'm guessing that the former is most correct. If one of these two are correct, could someone explain why I would use "werden" and not "sein" or vice versa? I have looked through all my grammar textbooks and I'm struggling to find anything that directly answers my question.

Danke!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. Zwitter Senior Member

Croatia
    Croatian
    Hi!

I'm quite sure this is your answer: "Es ist hier zu finden". If you try to google the exact phrase, you get 10+ million results. You can also find similar stuff like:
    - Gutes Personal ist schwer zu finden!
    - Phantastische Tierwesen & wo sie zu finden sind

3. fuzzy4peaches New Member

Canada
    Canadian English
    I think I understand now.

I have a feeling that this rule is confusing me somewhat like the translation of "I am seeing." into "Ich sehe.", where German does not differentiate between "I see" & "I am seeing (at the moment)." So from my understanding, the conjugation of "sein" followed by zu + infinitive applies to other verbs as well? ie "Es ist hier zu lesen."

Danke!

4. Zwitter Senior Member

Croatia
    Croatian
  5. fuzzy4peaches New Member

Canada
    Canadian English
    Perfect, that answers my question completely!

Danke!

6. Liam Lew's Senior Member

Both sentences "Es kann hier gefunden werden" and "Es ist hier zu finden" are correct translations. The other one is wrong.