it doesn't count

Discussion in 'English Only' started by tomtombp, Jun 11, 2013.

1. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    We are doing a poll online. I wonder if I can say to somebody who tries to manipulate the outcome by commenting his own thoughts:

"Please don't manipulate the responses. It doesn't count."
    (if you manipulate them)

or it should be

"Please don't manipulate the responses. They don't count."
    (the manipulated responses)

Thank you

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm sorry, tomtom, neither of your options works for me:(.

3. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Thanks, Loob. Can "coun't" be used in this context at all? If so, how would you use it?
    "The manipulated responses don't count." -Does this work? I just don't want to repeat the word manipulated.

4. ron1759 Senior Member

Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
    U.S. - English
    You could say "manipulated responses will be discarded" or "manipulated responses will not be counted."

5. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I don't know what you are thinking of when you say manipulate the response. If, for example, in an election you draw a line through the name of the candidate (instead of putting a cross), your vote will not count (i.e. will be invalid). But in your example, I wouldn't say "It doesn't count."

6. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Actually the responders were manipulated by his comment and the responses through them. Additional info: we made a bet on the outcome, and the one I made the bet with wanted to manipulate the results in his favor. That's why I thought of using "count". It doesn't count in the bet or something like this.

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I don't understand "manipulate a response" either. Can you describe the poll (perhaps give a couple of sample questions) and explain how an answer might be "manipulated"?

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm sorry, tomtom, I still don't understand your question:(.

What was the original question? And what did the "manipulator" do?

(cross-posted with Parla)

9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    How about "rig the responses"?

PS: There's a Hungarian forum where you can ask people to translate your Hungarian sentences into English, too... ;)

10. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    It's not a real poll it's just one question to help us decide which animal of our two guesses is shown in a picture. I had my guess and the one I made the bet with had another. We thought to publish the question and see what other people's guesses are to help us find out the truth. He tried to bias/influence/manipulate the respondents by making comments to steer them toward thinking that it's the animal he guessed. For example when somebody posted my guess, he responded: this animal has short neck, while the one in the picture doesn't.

Thank Encolpius, good idea, I'll post my question there too, I wasn't sure it was allowed to make translations.

11. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Thank you for the extra information, tomtom:).

I think that I'd have to use more words to convey your meaning - perhaps something like:
    Please don't try to influence the way people vote [respond]. If you do, their votes [responses] won't count.

12. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Thanks for all the help.

13. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Oh. And how is the person summarizing the results to know whether or not the pollster cheated?

14. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    It's more of a game than a serious poll with well-defined rules. Neither of use take it seriously :) My OP sentence was also intended to sound funny.

15. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I have understood what tom meant by "it doesn't count" (<- closest to the original Hungarian expression): it is not a nice thing to do/ it is not fair (i.e. to try to influence people's votes).

The style is friendly, informal and - as tom said above - the Hungarian is a bit funny inasmuch as it is a term kids (up to 10) use when discovering somebody cheating while playing.

16. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Ah, thanks, Zsanna!:thumbsup:

Then maybe the answer is something like:
    Please don't try to influence the way people vote. That's cheating!:mad:
    or (simpler/more informal)
    Don't give people hints - that's cheating!:mad:

I can't think of a specific term for "cheating" used by children under ten - but maybe someone else can....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  17. 082486

082486 Senior Member

Filipino (Kinaray-a, Ilonggo, Tagalog)

Maybe you can say "that's not fair"?

18. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Yes, you could, 082486 - but again, it's not something that only children would say....

I have had a further thought, though - perhaps the idea could be conveyed by:
    Don't give people hints - that's sneaky!:mad:

19. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    That's cheating! is perfect, it fits exactly, thanks Loob!:thumbsup:

If I understand the use of that's sneaky well, maybe it is not the best here because the person wasn't manipulating others in order to "win" himself the poll (there wasn't much to win, it was more about to decide whose - between two - guess people would rather agree with).

20. srk Senior Member

South Bend, Indiana
    English - US
    To me, cheating has more to do with trying to win than being sneaky does.

"That's not fair" is a child's expression, but "That's unfair" would be spoken by an adult.

21. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Yes, "that's cheating" and "that's not fair" are both close to my original idea. Thanks a lot!