It is the only proof we've ever walked upon this earth.

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Roy776, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently playing a Japanese video game called 龍が如く (Yakuza, in the west) and have just heard a sentence I really like, but as I do not (yet, I want to learn it) speak Japanese, I was wondering if you guys could help me translate this sentence back into Japanese (It doesn't have to be exactly the same as in the game). I've learned Japanese quite some time ago, but it's all pretty rusty, so I'm not sure if I got it alright, so please correct me. My attempts were:

I'm not sure if 世界 or 地球 is correct. I have the feeling that 地球 is more like 'earth' and 世界 more like 'world'. And another version was with 今までに instead of かつて, but I'm not sure which one is more correct.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Very nice.

今までに sounds more practical, plain. かつて does a little more romantic, matching a speech in a game or TV drama.

To me, if using 地球, speaking a little spitefully and jokingly, the sentence sounds like Neanderthals in National Geographic. Don't get me wrong. I hope you understand what I say. 世界 is the place we're now on, where has the nations consisting of their societies, isn't it? Select freely. And no errors can be found in your sentence.
  3. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    ありがとうございます! :) I'm actually amazed there were no mistakes, but it's good to know I have not forgotten everything yet.