it takes a village to raise a child

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by barcelona05, Nov 1, 2005.

1. barcelona05 New Member

Atlanta
    Spain, Spanish
    Alguien sabe si...
    ¿Hay alguna expresión en español equivalente a "it takes a village to raise a child"?

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Hola barcelona:

Este es un proverbio africano que se está poniendo de moda en los Estados Unidos, y no creo que tenga un equivalente en español, así que te ofrezco una traducción algo literal que quizás te sirva:

Se requiere de todo un pueblo para educar a un/a niño/niña.

Saludos

3. Grateful2allU Senior Member

Rumano; EUA; serviceable Spanish, some other latin languages; autodidacta.
    How about this?

Uno necesita una comuna criar a un niño.

4. Grateful2allU Senior Member

Rumano; EUA; serviceable Spanish, some other latin languages; autodidacta.
    Sí. This is the commercial translation of the title in Spanish available in paperback book.

"Es labor de todos. Dejemos que los niños nos enseñen"

But the official translation is yet not real clear to me. Does it say "It's everyone's duty. Let us teach our children"? Or "It's everyone's duty. Let us let our children to teach us"?

5. Shinystar

Shinystar Senior Member

México - Español
    I don't think the official translation is correct. I totally agree with ILT's translation. It fits perfectly into the text I'm translating. (That's why I am reading this thread.)
    By the way, thank you!

6. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english

I agree, I have heard of it as an african saying.

Love your translation.

Saludos, ala

7. Csilag New Member

Portuguese - Brazilian
    Hello everyone,

Although you've discussed the translation of "it takes a village to raise a child", nobody spoke about the metaphorical meaning of it. The author I'm translating uses the expression in quite a metaphorical way and I would very much appreciate if you could explain the meaning to me. Here is the sentence in which the expression appears:

Schools and universities play a part, as do families and communities: it does take a village to create the values and attitudes that allow children to get the most out of their education!

The point he is making with this sentence is that in bettering education income inequality could be mitigated.

Thank you,
    Csilag

8. Shinystar

Shinystar Senior Member

México - Español
    Hi Cislag,

In other words, I would say:

It takes the effort of many people to create the values and attitudes that allow children.....
    Se necesita del esfuerzo de muchas personas para establecer los valores .....

9. Csilag New Member

Portuguese - Brazilian
    Thank you Shinystar, it makes sense.
    Saludos, Csilag

10. Shinystar

Shinystar Senior Member

México - Español
    Ahora que vuelvo a ver este hilo pienso en una expresión más coloquial, en vista de que la frase en inglés lo es. Ya pasó tiempo, pero tal vez pueda servir para futuras consultas.

"Se necesita de todo un ejército para establecer...."

Saludos,

11. Csilag New Member

Portuguese - Brazilian
    Well, in fact, as I continued to reasearch on this subject, I found out Hillary Clinton published a book entitled "It Taks a Village..." and so on, that is, she used just part of the expression. And my author wrote, agreeing with Hillary Clinton, "It does take a village"... refering to Hilary Clinton's book, I mean, in a dialog with her , and, of course, using the argument for his own purposes, as you can see in his sentence I'm quoting again: "Schools and universities play a part, as do families and communities: it does take a village to create the values and attitudes that allow children to get the most out of their education!"
    So thank you Shinystar for having come back to this issue - for a translator I don't think it is ever late for a new understanding.
    Saludos,
    Csilag