It was a pleasure meeting you. We should have dinner.

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by creamcorn, Jun 1, 2007.

1. creamcorn New Member

USA, English and Spanish
    Hello all,

I just stumbled on to this forum while trying to find a way to translate a phrase. I met this nice and pretty girl the other day who is studying Japanese. I thought it would be a good way to ask her out by asking her out in Japanese. So phonetics would be nice not symbols. So if you could translate this or suggest something similar i would really appreciate it.

"It was a pleasure meeting you the other night." or just "It was a pleasure meeting you." " I found you to be very Intriguing and beautiful." "We should have dinner some time."

Or something like that. Thanks for all your help....

Creamcorn......

2. suica New Member

Japan, Japanese
    Hi,

Though there are numerous ways to say such expressions, I tell you the simplest ones so that it makes easy for you and your girl to understand each other :)

"It was a pleasure meeting you the other night."
    -> anata to aete ureshi katta desu.
    You can add 'kono aida wa' at the beginning, meaning 'the other day,' if it's not too long.

"I found you to be very beautiful."
    -> watashi wa anata ga totemo kire'i dato omoi mashita.

"We should have dinner some time."
    -> gohan wo issyo ni tabe ni iki masyou.
    This one is a little tricky because the mere translation could make it sound rude or arrogant. So I changed it to something like "Why don't we go to dinner together?"

If these are too long for you to memorize, just tell me so.

Good luck ;)

3. creamcorn New Member

USA, English and Spanish
    Thanks so much! I will let you know how it went.

Cheers!

Creamcorn

4. creamcorn New Member

USA, English and Spanish
    YES!!!! Thanks for your help, Suica! I have a date with a really beautiful girl thanks to you.

Reply: "Very Impressed! Thank you. I would love to go out with you, call me:)"

You are the best. I owe you a favor....Creamcorn

5. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    仏(佛)法語צרפתית Clodoaldien
    Suica is right in all his/her remarks.
    Let me ad, if I may, two comments :
    -1. Transription in latin should better be issho and masho
    -2. The phrase below
    Gohan wo gochiso shimasu kara isshoni ikimasho
    might prove better :
    litterally : since I will invite you, let's eat together
    or : let me invite you for dinner/lunch/a meal
    (if that was your intention ... Be your treat ).

6. suica New Member

Japan, Japanese
    Congratulations:D to creamcorn, and thanks;) to aoyama-san.

I am so happy for you, creamcorn.:)
    But of course it was your effort of asking her out in Japanese, not the Japanese itself, that she was impressed with.

To aoyama-san, I appreciate your correction.:)
    I had no idea that there is any rule to follow when writing Japanese in Latin alphabet, which sounds reasonable considering there are people learning Japanese in Latin in stead of hiragana and other Japanese characters; I guess a native speaker can be the most ignorant sometimes.

suica

7. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    仏(佛)法語צרפתית Clodoaldien
    Well, not really rules, but the common practice is to follow the so-called Hepburn transcription (from James Curtis Hepburn, check ...), strangely called in Japanese hebon shiki .
    The transcription you used exists also, and is used in some manuals.But Hepburn transcription is preferable (I dare think).

8. suica New Member

Japan, Japanese
    Oh, I see. I know Hepburn transcription--I learned about it when I first got my passport :)

Thanks again, Aoyama-san

9. Lide_i Junior Member

spain (spanish)
    I know that this hasnt nothing to do with the theme of this forum but... do you think learning japanese is rather difficult?