1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

it will knock you for six

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Dothy, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Dothy Junior Member

New Zealand
    France
    Hello all,

I've got a poster of the film 'elephant' by Van Sant, and there's a comment from a journalist I don't understand. Could s.o. explain what 'it will knock you for six' means?!?!

Cheers,
    Do.

2. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    that means it'll really impress you :)

il t'en bouchera un coin, je crois en français

3. Dothy Junior Member

New Zealand
    France
    Thanks Benjy.
    I kind of guess that, but I was more wondering what it actually represents, where does it come from? what does six refer to? hours?

Cheers,
    Do.

4. dave

dave Senior Member

London
    UK - English
    Hi Dorothy,

As with many strange sayings in English it comes from the game of cricket. When the batsman hits the ball over the boundary without the ball bouncing, he scores six runs (points). It is the most impressive shot a batmsan can play (perhaps a little like a home run in baseball?), and we say that he has 'hit it for six'.

"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

5. Dothy Junior Member

New Zealand
    France
    Thank you very much, Dave, for this hint in the English culture (I'll never understand the passion English have for Cricket :( :p ).

Do.