Italian verb conjugation - English translation?

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Trendz, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Trendz New Member

Sicilia, Italia
    South Africa/English
    hi every1, ciao a tutti!

i've just come across this link posted in the sticky on this forum,
    http ://www dot wordreference dot com/conj/ItVerbs.asp, and i think its fantastic. i was just wondering if there's a translation in english for at least 1 of the verbs? that would help tons i think?

Grazie mille!
  2. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    Hi Trendz,

Welcome to WRF. I'm glad you like our verb conjugator!

If you look on the upper right hand corner of the verb conjugator, there's a link that says "traduzioni inglese" which will tell you what the word means in English. Is that what you were looking for?

By the way, because we're a language forum, we take things like capital letters pretty seriously around here ;). Try to use them, and try to avoid abbreviations -- it makes things much easier for people learning English who are reading your posts.

3. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

Hi Trendz, benvenuto! :)

I suspect I know what you mean:
    io vado - I go/I am going
    lui andò - he went
    noi andavamo - we used to go

With all due respect, I confess that I am adamantly opposed to this mechanistic approach to languages. It may work reasonably well within a language family, e.g. between Spanish and Italian. For English and Italian, I am afraid that it would be more misleading than helpful. A foremost precondition for reaching fluency in a foreign language is to stop thinking in your mother tongue. I believe that providing learners with a crutch you (seem to) require is a nearly capital sin because learners need to accept and internalize the fact that a foreign language has its own logic and that drawing on their mother tongues does more harm than good.

Anyway, since this thread is about a WR feature and not directly about the Italian language, I am moving it to Comments and Suggestions. :)
  4. Trendz New Member

Sicilia, Italia
    South Africa/English
    Salve Elaine, salve Jana!

Elaine, Jana has hit the nail on the head. An english translation of the conjugate forms. I will keep the capitals in mind for the future, I get bored sometimes and so like to mix things up a bit :). Your point is well taken though.

Jana with all due respect I dont quite agree with you :D. Once you're at a certain level it makes complete sense to remove yourself from your mother tongue. But since im in the beginning stages and living in an english country what point of reference do I have? All I can do at this stage is equate what i know in English into Italian. Your point is also well taken though and I think the answer lies somewhere between relying on your mother tongue AND your approach.

Incidentally I would like to hear more about your approach.

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth.
  5. DonnaB New Member

New Hampshire, USA
    English-United States
    I think this is exactly the suggestion I always think of when I am looking at the conjugated Italian verbs. It would be so helpful to me to have an English semi-translation - for example, something to indicate the different between
    each of these:
    passato prossimo trapassato prossimo trapassato remoto futuro anteriore
    I am trying to recollect the Italian I learned in college over four semesters - I love the language, and I want to get it right. It's hard (okay, impossible!) for me to remember what these tenses correlate to in English.

Oh, btw, I forgot to say that this site is fantastic, and I have recommended it to all of my friends who want to/are learning another language. It is truly wonderful! Except for that one little thing...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  6. brickhead New Member

I am finding the site "italianize yourself" helpful with figuring out the verb tenses. It doesn't give a "translation" of the verbs but give a quick, simple description of when to use each tense. I can't post links but search italianize yourself and verb tenses and you should be able to find it alright.

Tutorino, grammar gym is also helpful in explaining each tense individually. It gives unique, conversational ways to think about word usage. Search tutorino and grammar gym.
  7. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Hi Trendz,

I think the translation of the verb in the infinitive is enough. It's not possible to translate conjugated verbs exactly, without context, from Italian to English.
    Italian "presente" is different from English "present simple". Italian "passato prossimo" is a lot different than English "present perfect". Italian "passato remoto" is different from English "past simple". And how do you translate the Italian future into English? Will or be going to? Usage of the subjunctive is different too.
    The conjugator is supposed to be useful to somebody that already studied Italian grammar, and doesn't remember how to conjugate a verb.