Iterative/interactive

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by sarahbr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. sarahbr Junior Member

Egypt
    English
    Hi there,

I am trying to translate the word iterative. The context is that developing a particular indicator for a country's biodiversity is an iterative process, meaning that it is a process in which there are many steps, some or all of which may need to be repeated one or more times in order to develop a 'good' indicator.

I had a document translated professionaly, but the word, интерактивный was used, which I don't believe means the same thing. It is an interactive process, but what we want to get across is that the process must be gone through perhaps several times until the desired result is achieved.

Does the word итеративный fit in this context? I.e., 'итеративный процесс разработки индикаторов биоразнообразия'? Or else, Google Translate suggests 'итерационный'. Which would be better?

Болшое спасибо!

Sarah

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I think both итерационный and итеративный sound too mathematical or linguistical and, what is worse, do not mean what you need. I'в suggest непрерывный: разработка индикаторов - непрерывный процесс.

3. morbo Senior Member

Русский
    "Непрерывный" is not exactly what is meant by "iterative"; the idea of "iterative" is more specific, that of repeated cycles. Also, something tells me that it's presupposed the targed audience should be acquainted with the use of the term in that context, so I wouldn't change the wording. I fail to see why "итеративный" should be preferred over "итерационный" or vice versa; it seems both are fine.

Интерактивный is just plain out of place there.

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'm afraid the range of meanings of итерационный and итеративный is much narrower than that of "iterative": they mean either iterative like in maths, or repeated like in linguistics, or multiple like in biology. But they do not mean repeating measurements, for example.