It's cute as the dickens

Discussion in 'English Only' started by uqula, Sep 18, 2008.

1. uqula Junior Member

What does 'It's cute as the dickens in the following sentence mean?:
    I finished up the little hat and I think it's cute as the dickens :) It should fit anyone from. a toddler to an eight-year old and it's called Blossom.

I took it from this site:
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    It just means "very cute."

You may find this webpage of interest: (Scroll down to the heading "Not that groundhogs aren't cute, of course."

Some quotes:
    The site also states that the first recorded use of the phrase is "The Merry Wives of Windsor" by Shakespeare.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  3. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    Cute as the dickens sounds very odd to me. In my experience, and in all the Oxford English Dictionary's examples, the dickens is synonymous with the devil. I wouldn't say cute as the devil or cute as the dickens.
  4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    It is an expression I've encountered numerous times, despite sounding very outdated or at least quaint.
  5. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Just to confirm what biliolept said, "cute as the dickens" is a bit outdated but not uncommon in AE. In my opinion, there is only a very tangential allusion to the devil as such. It's more a bowdlerized version of "cute as hell" where "as hell" is a slang and slightly profane intensifier.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008