1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

it's important that you don't do it yourself

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by seitt, Apr 2, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

How can I translate a sentence like “(the fact) that you don't do it yourself”, please?

For example, how about this sentence?
    “If you're going to start telling people about the dangers of smoking, it's important that you don't smoke yourself.”

Could you translate this sentence into Turkish for me, please? I'm not sure if "that you don't smoke yourself" should be kendinizin içmemesi or kendiniz içmemeniz or what.

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Nihilus Junior Member

Turkish
    "Eğer insanlara sigara içmenin tehlikelerinden bahsedecekseniz, sigarayı kendiniz içmemeniz önemlidir."

3. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    ...that you don't do... : ...yapmaman(ız)

The translation just above is flawless. "Kendinizin içmemesi" would be the equivalent of "that your own self doesn't smoke".

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, super.

5. savater2007 Senior Member

turkey turkish
    If you're not looking for a mot a mot translation I would suggest you to use, "iyi örnek olmanız gerekir" "to be good example yourself" instead of using, "kendinizin içmemesi..."
    For me it sounds better in Turkish.
    all the best,

6. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    You can also use a continuous tense and get rid of the 'kendi'. I would naturally say:

Eğer insanlara sigara içmenin tehlikelerinden bahsedecekseniz, sizin de sigara içmiyor olmanız önemlidir.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!

Just a thought: since we can say, "Eğer insanlara sigara içmenin tehlikelerinden bahsedecekseniz, sizin de sigara içmiyor olmanız önemlidir." (thanks, Rallino!), doesn't it follow logically that we can also say, "Eğer insanlara sigara içmenin tehlikelerinden bahsedecekseniz, kendinizin de sigara içmiyor olmanız önemlidir."?

Or am I missing something?

8. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    'Kendiniz' means yourself, but it behaves like a normal noun, so you have to construct a normal genitive construction*:
    Kendiniz-in + X-(s)iKendinizin … olma

This isn't any different from: arabanızın kaporta

*construct a construction? Wow ~ so clever of me…!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much for that too.

PS You can use 'to form' for 'to construct' here.