Its / It's

Discussion in 'English Only' started by little_vegemite, Jun 26, 2007.

1. little_vegemite Senior Member

Could someone please tell me what is the grammatical difference between it's and its?
    Because I have no idea and microsoft word always tells me I'm wrong and now automatically corrects it for me. I learnt that 'it's' was right all the time - it was only when I started using microsoft word that I was alerted to 'its'.

And if you know of another thread on this, then could you direct me to it, because the advanced search was loading for a long time, and then suddenly I got an error message... : )

2. Trapezium Member

UK, English
    it's = it is

its = of it

"I like my car because it's fast. But its boot doesn't shut properly."
  3. little_vegemite Senior Member

Succinct and very illuminating. Thankyou : )
  4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    The possessive pronoun "its" does not have an apostrophe. But don't all possessives have apostrophes? No, possessive pronouns do not:

HIS does not have an apostrophe.
    HERS does not have an apostrophe.
    OURS does not have an apostrophe.
    YOURS does not have an apostrophe.

When you think of it in these terms, it no longer seems odd that there is no apostrophe in the word ITS, either.
  5. little_vegemite Senior Member

Thanks GreenWhiteBlue. : )
    I realised that today actually, thinking about it. I like your duo persona style of answering : )
  6. mplsray Senior Member

It seems to me that there is a very big problem with this explanation. The word it is a pronoun with no associated possessive pronoun! This is no doubt explained many places on the Internet, but an easy way of verifying it is to look up his, hers and its in Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary. The words his and hers are given entries as adjectives and pronouns, but the word its has an entry only as an adjective.
  7. little_vegemite Senior Member

How is it an adjective??
  8. mplsray Senior Member

Discussing the word its, little_vegemite wrote:

I refer you to Merriam-Webster's definitions for adjective and possessive adjective.