It's my pleasure to meet you

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Puellam audiam, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Puellam audiam

Puellam audiam Senior Member

Grenoble
    Taiwanese, Mandarin
    Guten Tag!:D

I learned only a little German. I want to write a note to a German friend, but can't really utter some words in German. :eek:
    I need someone to help me to say the following;

"It's my pleasure to meet you. I wish to know you more.
    I leave you my email. Please write to me. Then I will have yours.
    When you come back, I will be in Hungry.

I wish you a good summer. Have fun!
    See you soon!
    Kisses"

Dunke Schon!

2. herrkeinname

herrkeinname Senior Member

Niemcy/Deutschland/Germany/Alemania
    polski/Polnisch/Polish/polaco
    I would translate it in this way:

Es ist mir ein (großes) Vergnügen, dich kennen zu lernen. Ich hinterlasse dir meine E-Mail-Adresse. Schreib/Mail mir mal, bitte, damit ich auch deine E-Mail haben kann. Wenn du zurückkommst, bin ich in Ungarn.
    Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Sommer. Viel Spaß!
    Bis bald!
    Gruß!

3. Puellam audiam

Grenoble
    Taiwanese, Mandarin
    Dunke Schon!:D

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    A few modifications:
    I capitalized Du and its derivatives because that's more polite in a letter.

5. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    The English version is not flawless either, as far as I can judge. But let's pay attention to the German translation:

Es war :tick:mir ein (großes) Vergnügen, Dich kennen zu lernen :cross: kennen gelernt zu haben und ich hoffe, Dich noch besser zu kennen :cross: (see below). Ich hinterlasse Dir meine E-Mail-Adresse. Schreib/Mail mir mal bitte, damit ich auch Deine E-Mail-Adresse haben kann. Wenn Du zurückkommst, werde ich schon in Ungarn sein.
    Ich wünsche Dir noch einen schönen Sommer. Viel Spaß!
    Bis bald!
    Gruß!

Ehem ... no comment. ;)

My final version would be:

Es war mir ein Vergnügen, dich kennen gelernt zu haben (und ich hoffe, dich noch besser kennen zu lernen). Ich hinterlasse dir meine E-Mail-Adresse. Schreib mir mal bitte, damit ich auch deine habe. Wenn du zurückkommst, werde ich schon in Ungarn sein.
    Ich wünsche dir noch einen schönen Sommer. Viel Spaß!
    Bis bald!
    Gruß!

I wouldn't translate I wish to know you more, since you would have difficulty finding a good alternative for another kennen lernen. In my opinion, ich hoffe, dich noch besser zu kennen doesn't sound very logical, since hoffen implies a future action and kennen (even with werden) cannot be used in the future here. It might work if you hadn't mentioned get to know/kennen lernen before, but since you have already kennen gelernt the person, another kennen would sound illogical. :)

6. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    I believe it's supposed to mean:

Ich freue mich, daß wir uns getroffen haben, und ich würde Dich gerne besser kennenlernen.
    Ich habe Dir meine email-Adresse aufgeschrieben. Es wäre nett, wenn Du mir schreiben würdest, denn dann hätte ich auch Deine [email-Adresse]. Wenn Du zurückkommst, werde ich in Ungarn sein.
    Ich wünsche Dir einen tollen Sommer! Viel Spaß!
    Bis bald,
    X

Kajjo

7. locco7_2000

locco7_2000 Senior Member

English
    Kajjo hat einen guten Faden geschrieben.
    Die anderen klingen meiner Meinung nach, ein wenig unpersönlich.

Seitdem er diesen Mensch schon kennen gelernt hat, könnte man vielleicht sagen, dass er mit ihr oder ihm vertraut wird.
    Kajjo hat das gut geschrieben (Der Brief war so persönlich), dass ich fast weinen wollte. lol. :)

8. Puellam audiam

Grenoble
    Taiwanese, Mandarin
    Dunke Schon!!:D

9. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Kajjo, this is what your text means to me. I like it!

I would prefer "write back" over write, but that is personal. Now, how about "Kisses". ;)

I'm [very] glad we met, and I would like to get to know you better. I've written out my email address for you. It would be great if you would write me [back], since then I would have yours. When you return, I'll be in Hungary.

Kisses,

X

10. estrellafugaz Junior Member

Spain
    German, Austria
    What's that supposed to mean?

AFAIK and the way I learned it, we used to spell it "Du" but it was changed - I believe when they set up the Neue Deutsche Rechtschreibung (new spelling rules) a couple of years ago - to always spelling it "du" in a letter.

11. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    The reform has been reformed and partly reversed due to extensive opposition by the majority of natives. Now you may capitalise Du and, as pointed out by Elroy, this is recognised as polite and respectful. I always capitalise Du and I strictly recommend to everyone to do so!

Kajjo

12. Acrolect Senior Member

German, Austria
    The Du/du has been re-reformed - so you can choose between capital and lower case d. Some people prefer the capital version because they consider it more polite, possibly in analogy to Sie (even though there are probably different reasons for this). I have always preferred du (and more subtle means of showing deference) - but this is another matter. As both options are allowed, I would not suggest that my preference is in any way more valuable or appropriate than anybody else's (even though I could argue in favour of it).

I was wondering whether the X in Kajjo's version is supposed to represent a kiss? :) Like Gaer, I was surprised to see the kisses go out in all the proposed versions. I assume it is because everybody felt this not to be appropriate for people hardly knowing each other. But I leave it to Puellam to decide for himself. But judging from my own experience, XX or something like this is the best solution for a genre such as an informal e-mail. Küsse - no way, Bussi - I guess this is regionally restricted, and it also sounds pretty intimate as would be forms like Ich drück' dich; well, people often use English words here, esp. hugs, but probably sounds strange from a non-native speaker trying to use German for the first time.

The second problematic phrase seems to be It's my pleasure to meet you and whether this indicates that the meeting has already taken place, is going to take place or - most unlikely - is taking place (more in the sense of getting to know somebody) in the mail itself. Anyway, es ist mir ein Vergnügen (as probably it is a pleasure) sounds too formal for the occasion. I'd probably use an adjective such as nett, schön (perhaps even super), possibly even without the es ist. Schön, dass...

13. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Look at the original again:

"It's my pleasure to meet you. I wish to know you more.
    I leave you my email. Please write to me. Then I will have yours.
    When you come back, I will be in Hungry.

As you can see, this is typical verb usage for languages that don't have our "progressive" forms.

I think we can safely assume that "meet you" refers to some point in the past and the "leave" means "am leaving".

Closings are also very personal. I think that is why we all avoided making any kind of suggestion about how to turn "Kisses" into German. ;)

Gaer

14. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    You are right. This is obvious and I intuitively used it in my translation.

Yes, "Kisses" is so "Un-german" that it cannot be translated seriously.

Kajjo