1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

it's not exactly sandals out there

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rambopark, Feb 1, 2013.

1. rambopark Senior Member

South Korea
    KOREAN
    Greeting!
    It's about a prison drama.
    The situation: Michael ask his head a favor; changing his cell mate. But the head didn't accept it based on prison rules.
    Here's a conversation.

Head: I wish there was some way I could, you know, pay you or something. (Michael have helped head's personal thing)
    Michael: There's a thing you could do for me. My cell mate.
    Head: Hold it right there. Unfortunately, unless there's some evidence of violence or sexual predation between cellmates, those kinds of requests fall on deaf ears around here. Prison system's a little too crowded for requests based on personality. It's not exactly sandals out there.

In here, I don't get the last sentence. What does that mean?
    Many thanks :>

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please reduce your quotation to four sentences -- you'll just have to tell us what is going on in place of the dialog you need to delete. Thank you.

3. gramman

gramman Senior Member

Sandals [with a capital es] Resorts is an operator of all-inclusive resorts for couples in the Caribbean (from Wikipedia). The Head is indicating that the prison is less accommodating to requests for relocation from its residents than the resort operator is to those from its customers.

4. rambopark Senior Member

South Korea
    KOREAN
    I don't understand what you're saying. Should I delete my thread? or dialog in my thread? And I don't know why you said to reduce my quotation to four sentences. you mean, it that too long? What's the matter with my quotation? I'd really appreciate if you tell me exactly what my problem is easily. Thanks :>

5. rambopark Senior Member

South Korea
    KOREAN
    Thanks, Gramman. But, Is really Sandals Resort in US???

6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    No, they're located on various islands in the Caribbean.

7. rambopark Senior Member

South Korea
    KOREAN
    I got it. Really thanks :>

8. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Per the forum rules (specifically, rule 4), you are allowed to quote up to four sentences of text. You quoted more than that, so you need to delete part of your quotation.