It's not like you to say sorry

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by XaLeX, Mar 22, 2009.

1. XaLeX Junior Member

Salerno, Italy
    Italian
    I've been listening to a (quite old) song lately, and its chorus begins with:

"It's not like you to say sorry, (...)
    This time I'm mistaken
    for handing you a heart worth breaking"

And I can't figure out what the first sentence means.
    I believe it's something like "Non sei tu a doverti scusare", because of the meaning of the song (A love story has ended; the protagonist thinks that he was too fragile, so it's his fault if the story has ended), but I'd like to understand what type of construction has been used.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance :). -A

P.S. Only now I've noticed that the Italian-English subforum is only related to vocabulary and grammar, but I'd like the Italian translation, too. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken :(

2. effeundici Senior Member

Italy
    Italian - Tuscany
    Forse non è da te chiedere scusa

3. NewYorktoLA

NewYorktoLA Senior Member

New York
    English-the variety known as AE
    Ciao XaLex,
    Sorry I can't give you a translation, but I can help by refrasing the first line of the song (the nickelback song, right?), it's not quite the meaning
    of "non sei tu a doverti scusare"

It's not like you to say - It's not something that you would usually say....in terms of this song...This person doesn't usually apologize, it is not
    part of her/his character to "say sorry"

So, it's not like you...means it's not something the person typically would do....
    Hope this helps.

4. XaLeX Junior Member

Salerno, Italy
    Italian
    Hm.. that's a better translation, but it doesn't make sense to me, put together with the rest of the song.
    I think it could be a slang/ellyptical form, or I've just misunderstood the song :D.
    While waiting for a native speaker to clarify this, thank you for your help :).

5. effeundici Senior Member

Italy
    Italian - Tuscany
    Definitely non è da te chiedere scusa / non sei il tipo che chiede scusa

6. XaLeX Junior Member

Salerno, Italy
    Italian
    It looks like I took too long writing my previous post, I didn't see NewYorktoLA's.
    You were right, I'm sorry for having doubted that.

Thank you both for your help :)!