1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

It's when you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by babyburns, Jun 20, 2006.

1. babyburns Senior Member

London, England
    French, lives in the UK
    My all-time favourite expression in English is

"It's when you see the light at the end of the tunnel that the roof caves in"
    Even though I am French I can't think of an equivalent that would do that expression justice.
    Any suggestions?
    Quelqu'un a-t'il une bonne idée sur le sujet?

2. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Mon effort:
    C'est quand tu vois la lumière au:cross::tick: bout du tunnel que le plafond s'effondre.
    .....que le train s'en vient.

3. Delphine-Belgium

Delphine-Belgium Junior Member

Belgium
    Belgium - French
    Hi!

Just a little correction:

--> C'est quand tu vois la lumière au bout du tunnel que le plafond s'effondre.

Ma suggestion, moins poétique:

C'est au moment ou tu penses être au bout de tes peines, que tout s'écroule!

Delphine.

4. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    I like that, babyburns. :) For the benefit of people who aren't familiar with the original expression, let me say:

The usual expression/cliche is: "To see the light at the end of the tunnel," which means to see evidence of a positive turn in events after a long period of difficulty.

babyburns's expression provides a cynical (if very funny) twist.

A variation: "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is only the headlights of a freight train coming from the opposite direction." :D

5. petereid

petereid Senior Member

selby yorkshire
    english
    When things get even harder I've heard:-"It's not a tunnel its a bloody chimney"

6. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    :) I like that. Unfortunately, as an American I'd sound a bit pretentious using "bloody."

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Merci. Oû avais-je la tête? Je m'empresse de corriger.

8. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    L'expression habituelle est "voir le bout du tunnel"

"C'est quand tu vois le bout du tunnel qu'il s'effondre sur toi"
    Hope it helps!

9. babyburns Senior Member

London, England
    French, lives in the UK
    Didn't know that one, it's quite good too... albeit not very punchy! Thanks to all of you for your effort. Not sure the French translation would do much favour to that expression. Thanks again!

10. sarcie Senior Member

Munich
    English - Ireland
    Just to add another little English version I heard recently and thought was nice and cheerful :D:
    "I thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel, but it was just some <insert expletive of choice> bringing me more work"

No help for a French version though, I'm afraid!

11. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    There may be a punchier version. I couldn't remember one off the top of my head.

12. babyburns Senior Member

London, England
    French, lives in the UK
    no help for a French version, but hilarious :D and also reflecting how I feel today! Gosh I hate this place! :mad:

13. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    I'd like to insist (post #8) upon the fact that the usual expression is "voir la fin du tunnel"

14. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Dans le TLFi:

15. babyburns Senior Member

London, England
    French, lives in the UK
    Guys, guys, nous nous égarons. L'expression que j'indique au début de ce thread est très cynique... C'est une expression pour les pessimistes (ou fatalistes d'ailleurs). Elle exprime le sentiment que lorsque l'on croie que tout va bien/mieux, que tout commence à être bien, alors c'est là qu'il nous arrive un autre coup dur! moi j'aime...

16. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    Non, "on" ne s'égare pas tous (en tout cas, j'y reviens encore une fois), voir mon post #8! :
    "C'est quand tu vois le bout du tunnel qu'il s'effondre sur toi"

17. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Vois-tu la lumière là?
    Non, ce n'est pas Superman, c'est un train.