"I've had enough"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cheshire, Oct 6, 2006.

1. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    When you have eaten enough, can't you say "I've had enough" because it can mean "That's enough! I can't stand it!"?

If you buy me dinner, I have eaten, and say "I've had enough." would you get angry?:confused:
  2. bartimaus Member

english,hindi .....India
    It would be much politer to say "Thank you,I have had enough".
    As for getting angry I would certainly not get angry but there are bound to be a few people who would
  3. If you are angry, you can also say :I am fed up with it. But you can never say this referring to hunger.

When you do not want any more food, you can say: I`ve had/eaten my fill.
  4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

I understand it isn't rude but isn't it a little bit unrefined (I mean, the image it's using)? It's the impression I get but as I'm not a native, it may be wrong.
  5. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    Generally when I don't want any more to eat, I'll say "I'm full" or "I'm stuffed" :) (I don't think I'd say any of the mentioned phrases).

6. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

What about these?
    (1) I've had plenty.
    (2) I've had sufficient.
  7. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    Reason being "plenty" describes a quantity, whereas "sufficient" simply states that what you had is enough for you. That's the message you want to convey, but "I had" should really be followed by a quantity in this case.

8. A, ces francais raffines!!:)
    It is quite OK. One can also say, "I am full", although I have been rather avoiding it since the beginning of my integration into the Scandinavian society where the similar phrase means :I am drunk.
  9. "I have had enough", not "sufficient". You can alternatively say "I have had a sufficient amount of..." but the first sounds best.
    "I have had plenty" simply means you have had many, a lot, without actually stating whether this large amount was sufficient or not.
  10. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I see nothing wrong with replying, "I've had enough" to indicate a lack of desire to consume more food.
    I am full.
    I've had sufficient.
    Any of these replies are fine as long as you include "thanks" or "thank you".

You are welcome.
  11. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

Thank you very much indeed, everyone!
    And to you, Mr DotCom! I've had enough, thank you;)
  12. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

:) Right, that was precisely the point. I was concerned by the fact that its literal translation into French would sound pretty coarse.
    Thanks for removing that doubt.