1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

IVG / I.V.G. (Interruption Volontaire de Grossesse)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by klodaway, Oct 22, 2007.

1. klodaway

klodaway Senior Member

Hello-

I am wondering whether there is a more "politically correct" term for abortion in English such as what we have in France in "IVG" ("Interruption Volontaire de Grossesse").
    I actually need to translate "IVG" in a medical context (itemized list in a software), and I need the "voluntary" part to be conveyed... but "termination of pregnancy" - which is what I would go with so far - is not very satisfactory.

Thank you for your help,
    klod-

: medicine
  2. victoria1 Senior Member

Mauritius - English & French
    intentional abortion.interruption of pregnancy, induced abortion: these are the terms that come to my mind for IVG.

3. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    You have 'elective surgery' so perhaps you could have an 'elective termination' as well?

4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

pregnancy termination

to terminate a pregnancy

Overall, clinically it is called an induced abortion. Various methods are used depending on the patient and stage of pregnancy.

5. dewsy Senior Member

Versailles
    England, english
    V.T.O.P. exists in English (voluntary termination of pregnancy) - it is mainly used in the medical sector. Hope it helps

6. klodaway

klodaway Senior Member

Thank you all for these quick replies.

dewsy, primary users of the software I am translating are doctors and nurses, so I guess I can go with VTOP.

klod-

7. Cracker Jack Senior Member

Elective abortion
    Therapeutic abortion