1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

J’en profite pour tirer un coup de chapeau

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by durena22, Jun 8, 2012.

1. durena22 New Member

french
    J’en profite pour tirer un coup de chapeau et remercier toutes les equipes qui on permis le succes.

"Tirer un coup de chapeau". I am struggling with it, and at the end I decided to eliminate it and used "thank you" so I have:

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all teams that had enabled the success. But I am still not happy and would like to find out a translation for : tirer un coup the chapeau". Can anyone help.

Thank you in advance!

2. Ithildyn

Ithildyn Senior Member

French - Canada
    Well, I believe you could say something like "I would like to take this opportunity to tip my hat to all the teams that enabled... " but you might need to shoehorn it a little with the actual thanking, maybe like "I would like to take this opportunity to tip my hat to, and thank all the teams that enabled... " or "I would like to take this opportunity to tip my hat to all the teams [...] and thank them for their efforts"

...or wait, maybe you can use "hats off" too, like, "I would like to take this opportunity to thank [...], hats off to you all!"

3. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    We say "to tip my hat to."

"I'd like to take this opportunity to tip my hat to all the teams that enabled our success."

This is a bit more formal or even overwrought than a simple "thank," but it will be understood.

4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "Hats off" is a really good idea! It's less formal, and connotes the same underlying image.

5. durena22 New Member

french
    Thank you very much to all. All of your comments really help :)

6. Saldeck Senior Member

Français - France
    Alors déjà on dit, "Tirer son chapeau" ou éventuellement "Donner un coup de chapeau", mais pas "tirer un coup" :p
    "I'd like to take off my hat to you" est la traduction du dictionnaire ; maintenant je ne sais pas si c'est très usité.
    Mais si tu cherches un substitu, tu peux utiliser le verbe "féliciter" (plutôt que "remercier").
    "I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate all the teams..."