jabón de la tierra

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by saza, Nov 11, 2006.

1. saza Senior Member

Spain
    English
    Hi there

Is there anyone who can tell me what

"el jabón llamado comunmente de la tierra"

might be.

It is from a Colombian text, from the 19th century, and it must be some sort of soap that doesn't keep well (she says that it musn't be bought in bulk for this reason).

Thank you

2. babep Senior Member

Germany
    Catalan/Castillian/English (Mallorca, Spain/ex-10 years USA)
    Hi, it has taken me AGES to find this. I guess you can read Spanish well enough to figure out what it says. Let me know if you can't.
    For what I read, this type of soap is made from the most vile parts of animals, like smelly putrefact fat and meat. May be because these foul ingredients could be easily available even to peasant and poor people it was called "jabón de la tierra". There is no mud or soild in the recipe that I can see. The recipe below must be the "refined" version of the original :) .

http://www.angelfire.com/nf/escuelavirtual/ljabon1.html
    [SIZE=+4]Jabón de Tierra:[/SIZE]Este jabón es de color obscuro, parecido al color tierra. Es un jabón blando de propiedades curativas, en afecciones de la piel. Su elaboración resulta muy sencilla.

Debes conseguir ceniza vegetal, que es aquella que se obtiene al quemar carbón común o madera. Se pone en un recipiente y se disuelve con agua. Así habremos obtenido una lejía rica en sales de sodio y potasio (carbonatos). Para utilizarla en la saponificación es necesario colarla hasta eliminar todos los componentes sólidos que posea.

Se pone a calentar la lejía y se le va agregando, poco a poco, los trozos de carne gorda, hasta obtener el jabón. No es necesario quitar los chicharrones. Se debe revolver lentamente, con un palo, hasta obtener la masa deseada. Recuerda que se debe dejar hervir, igual que se hizo con el jabón de lavar. Cuando haya enfriado se formarán bolas o panes y luego se empacará. En este caso, muchos lo empacan en hojas de plantas.

Este jabón se preserva de la descomposición porque tiene un PH alto.

3. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Gracias por la receta. Conozco ese jabón, mi abuela lo hacía en el rancho. Pero no tenía idea que se llamaba "de tierra". Para nosotros era solamente jabon y se usaba para lavar ropa, no para bañarse. Vaya usté a sabé!

4. saza Senior Member

Spain
    English
    Sounds lovely!! Thank you very much for the research. I suppose home-made natural soap might be a suitable translation?

Thanks again

5. The Canadian Guy New Member

Chicago
    English USA
    I have used jabon de tierra for years. The posted article states that it is made of vegetable ash, carbonates like sodium and potassium, and animal fat. Most of my Colombian friends hate the stuff and think that it stinks. I use it to wash my hair although I didnt's know that it was a country remedy for lice. The city people say that indians use the stuff and that's why they have such beautiful hair...I mainly buy the ball-shaped soap, wrapped in dried leaves, as the rectangular cakes tend to fall apart a lot faster. You can get the stuff in most markets where they sell herbal remedies and in major grocery stores like La 14. Hope this helps you out.

6. saza Senior Member

Spain
    English
    Thank you very much for the information. I've actually submitted the translation it was intended for, but it's good to know anyway!

7. Core New Member

Spanish
    I’m from Colombia and I hope this translation can fulfill your expectations.

This soap is colored dark, like earth color. It is a soft soap healing properties in skin diseases. Its manufacture is very simple.
    You should get vegetable ash, which is that you get from burning vegetable coal or natural wood common. Put in a bowl and dissolve with water. So we will have obtained a liquor rich in potassium and sodium salts (carbonates). For use in the saponification is necessary to strain it to remove all the solids you have.
    Then begins to heat the mix and it is adding little by little the pieces of very fresh fat meat (better from cow), until the soap. No need to remove the cracklings but also no need to leave it. Should be stirred slowly with a stick, until the desired mass. Remember that you must boil until the mass start bubble and expend some mist. When cooled, balls or loaves are formed and then packed. In this case, usually are package it in plant leaves.
    This soap is preserved from decomposition because it has a high pH.
    This soup help to prevent or cure fungus, flakes, acne and lice.
    Also after some time using it to wash your hair, this will become bright and soft, when is natural, if is tinted, you may use rinse

8. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    I just watched a programme on BBC iplayer the other day that demonstrated how this type of soap was made and they referred to it as 'lye soap'.