Jagermeister

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by perpend, Apr 7, 2013.

1. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I listed a T-shirt from Jägermeister today on Ebay, and I did a little research beforehand.

Cut to the chase, I had to list the T-Shirt using "Jagermeister", in other words, no umlaut, in order to get the best chance at selling it. (It got a bid already, by the way!)

I initially listed it using "Jaegermeister" but discovered that was not going to be the best route to go.

So, as a German connoisseur (okay, I flatter myself) it hurt me to list it that way, since it essentially bastardizes the original and the company name, let's not forget.

My question is whether it would be a huge faux paus in German and/or would it immediately strike a native German speaker as unacceptable to write: Jagermeister.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, perpend,
    for a German speaker - at least of my age - it looks very wrong to read "Jagermeister". "Jaegermeister" looks better but not very good.

If you sell in ebay, it is international.
    It may be that foreign customer do not type "Jägermeister" - either because they do not see a big difference or because they do not have easy access to "ä".

Another speculation: The most foreigners type "Jagermeister", the most German "Jägermeister" when searching. (ebay gives nearly the same results in all cases, however)

If "Jagermeister" is acceptable to me depends on purpose.
    As name it is not acceptable. As reference to a link it is (www.jagermeister. ...).
    Here I would prefer "jaegermeister. ..." but "jagermeister" is no problem, especially because addresses did not accept umlauts not so long ago.

In English texts it would not be a problem. It is adapted than to the English system.

----

Never forget the purpose and who is the customer. It may be good to have different versions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. oberhaenslir Senior Member

German, Switzerland
    The noun 'Jägermeister' (pron.: /ˈjɡərmstər/ yay-gər-my-stər, German: [ˈjɛːɡɐˌmaɪstɐ]) is a digestif made in Germany – with 56 herbs and spices.

The term 'Jägermeister' has existed in Germany as a title for some hunters (Jäger) for many centuries. It was redefined in 1934 in the new 'Reichsjagdgesetz' (Imperial Hunting Law). The term was applied to senior foresters and gamekeepers in the civil service, and Hermann Göring was appointed 'Reichsjägermeister' (Imperial Gamekeeper). Thus, when the digestif 'Jägermeister' was introduced in 1935, its name was already familiar to Germans, and it was sometimes called 'Göring-Schnaps'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jägermeister

It is wrong to write: Jagermeister.

4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Thanks Hutschi, You provided some good thoughts to ponder/research. I appreciate it.

I know myself that it's "wrong" (see above), oberhaenslir, but it gets me better odds at selling this T-shirt in the USA. Way better odds. I only sell within the USA for this item.

5. das brennende Gespenst Senior Member

Berlin, Deutschland
    Australisches Englisch
    I think most monolingual English speakers see umlauts and accent marks just as decoration to give something a foreign flavour (eg. Motörhead and I work upstairs from a "Bureau dé Change", where the accent is clearly just used to make it more Frenchy. "I'll have a baguetté and two crôissants, s'ïl voùt plaït").

To the OP: Remember that if you're using English, it's not wrong to drop accent marks and umlauts from foreign words (eg. doppelganger, doppelgänger, cafe, café, facade, façade). It is of course incorrect to write "Jagermeister" in German and, in German, if you cannot write umlauts or ß they should be replaced by ae, oe, ue, ss, but that's a German rule, not an English rule. To take it further, in English, we write "sushi", not "寿司". We write "Samsung", not "삼성". There's a Swedish manufacturer of workwear called Blåkläder (essentially like German "Blaukleider"). In Swedish, without special characters, it would have to be written Blaaklaeder, but in German it's written Blakläder and in English it can be written "Blaklader".

That being said, is it possible to write both (or all three) on your listing to increase traffic from searches? Jagermeister / Jägermeister / Jaegermeister.