J'ai l'honneur de demander à M. le Bâtonnier (legal / juridique)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by dex, Oct 28, 2004.

1. dex Junior Member

uk english
    Jai L'honneur de demander a M.Le batonnier qu'il veuille bien conformement aux dispositions de l'article 40-1 alinea 2 du code de procedure penale me designer un advocat dans le cadre de la procedure en reference qui a fait l'objet d'un classement sans suite.dure en reference qui a fait l'objet d'un classement sans suite.

thanx dex

ps
    rather urgent!
    i think its something to do with my sons accident,3 days into a 17day holiday in france(a car knocked him off bycycle,(on purpose!!!)ran over both his legs!).
    hope you can help with translation(there's more!),i think they may be legal documents!

appreciate ANY help.
    thanx

2. Bzzip Junior Member

France near Paris
    France - French
    As it's a legal document, I prefer not to say anything because I think my english isn't enough good, but I think that more skilled persons should be able to help you...

3. fleuriste-du-mal Senior Member

Arizona
    US - English
    It would seem to be a letter from a lawyer (barrister? I'm not British) to the court asking to be admited or named in the particular case. So just a filing. Do you need a translation or just to know what the document says.

4. Bzzip Junior Member

France near Paris
    France - French
    In my opinion, it would rather be a letter from someone asking the court to nominate a lawyer for him : "me designer un avocat", not "me désigner comme avocat"

5. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
  6. kiolbassa Senior Member

Switzerland
    English
    Ok, a quick try
    "I respectfully request the President of the Bar to designate a lawyer to represent me in compliance with article 40(1)(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure in the context of the action for referral which was dismissed."

Strange French: eg. "advocat" for "avocat". The action for referral (for want of a better term) is probably an application to institute proceedings, but I'm not a lawyer ...
    Hope that's helpful - all the best to you and your son.

7. dex Junior Member

uk english
    hi fleuriste (I'm one too!) :)
    if you could translate (for my son),would appreciate it,
    merci beaucoup,
    dex

8. fleuriste-du-mal Senior Member

Arizona
    US - English
    Sorry I was confused. I thought it was a letter someone else had written that you received a copy of. This is a letter you're supposed to sign? So then yes, if you don't already have a lawyer this would be a letter to the court asking them to assign one to you. Obviously if you do have a lawyer you won't need to do this.

9. fleuriste-du-mal Senior Member

Arizona
    US - English
    I wouldn't venture an actual translation, sorry. I'm sure the legalese involved is quite specific, and given just the differences in vocabulary between the US and UK, it would not be a good idea.
    Good luck though. Hope it at least helps to know what it means. And thanks but I'm not really a florist. Just a guy who puns on Baudelaire. (As if the poor man didn't have enough troubles!)
    Good luck! Hope your son is coming along!

10. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    About the "procédure en référence", I think it means it refers to something written above in the document.
    You should have, on top of the document, something like : "Réf: xxxxx".
    The "xxxx" standing for what has been dismissed.

11. dex Junior Member

uk english
    thanx everyone,here is the other letter i need translated(please).

Vous avez depose plainte le 31 JUILLET 2004 pour Accident de la ciculationavec BI contre Mr INCONNU.
    L'enquete n'ayant pas permis d'identifier le ou les auteurs,la procedure est classee sans suite a mon Parquet sous le numero de reference ci-dessus et ne sera reprise qu'au vu d'elements nouveaux.
    Je vous prie de croire,Monsieur,a l'expression de mess sentiments distingues.

12. dex Junior Member

uk english
    sorry "circulation avec BI "

13. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    Well, here is the "procédure en référence". It is this "plainte".
    I think BI means Blessures Involontaires ?
    Sorry not to know legal English vocabulary well enough to help further.

14. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Then I'm not sure you're going to get any money, that letter said the author (that is the person liable for the accident) is unknown. Unless they've found out later on... only you know the answer!

15. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    If you need an explanation and not a translation, then it means you registered a complaint for a traffic accident with unvoluntary injuries.
    But the inquiry could not enable to identify the authors, so the pursuit (prosecution?) is abandoned (the number of the file is given) and won't be reopened unless new elements are brought.

16. fleuriste-du-mal Senior Member

Arizona
    US - English
    Yeah not good. Since they have the injuries as 'involuntary' then they haven't seen evidence that your son was run over 'on purpose.' And they haven't even been able to identify 'the party or parties responsible' so the case is closed until further evidence can be produced. ... That letter about assigning you a lawyer would then be for someone to continue investigating the case in the hopes of securing that new evidence.