1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Jailbroken

Discussion in 'Computers/IT/Informática' started by dannycr1982, Feb 20, 2014.

1. dannycr1982 New Member

Spanish Costa Rica
    Hello,

I have a doubt. How can I translate the word "Jailbroken" into spanish?
    The context would be: Jailbroken Iphones cannot be connected to the network.

I really appreciatte your help.

Thanks

2. balipa Junior Member

Spanish
    In spanish we use also "jailbreak". But this word is used only by people who knows about this stuff. If not we can say "Iphone pirateado"

3. Vol Boy

Vol Boy Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    English / Appalachian English
    The Spanish is, as balipa says, jailbreak. Ex.: Un iPhone con jailbreak. I don't think you're asking about the "cannot be connected to the network," but that translation might vary depending on what you're talking about i.e., "jailbroken iPhones are simply unable to be connected" or "we [network provider] don't want jailbroken iPhones connecting to our network and we prohibit such connections."

4. lmgutie Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    I would translate "jalibroken" as "liberado", because jail-breaking cuts the link between the phone-set and the phone-operator. I don't agree with using "pirateado".

5. Vol Boy

Vol Boy Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    No, liberado is something else. For example, the iPhone 5 comes "unlocked" from the factory -- allowing the user (perhaps among other things) to use an international SIM card. "El iPhone 5 viene liberado (o sea desbloqueado) de fábrica."

Pero "un iPhone liberado" no es necesariamente "un iPhone con jailbreak," el cual permitirá que el usuario se descargue "apps" de tercera parte y para que Apple no provee ningun soporte técnico. Estoy casi cierto que un "jailbreak" invalidará la guarantía.

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm not sure "pirateado" would be understood by everyone as "jailbroken," although I see it is used that way. To me it might mean a fake iPhone.

7. Vol Boy

Vol Boy Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    Acaso debería decir *para los cuales Apple no...* Creo que suena mejor, y es mas claro.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. lmgutie Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
  9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, but even there they don't call it "liberar," they call it "hacer jailbreak."

10. lmgutie Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    I agree that almost nobody uses "liberar", but I would push it's use, somebody has to start: "iPhone liberados [de los controles de Apple] no pueden ser conectados..."

11. axelcloe Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    At first, "liberar" and "jailbreak" may sound as synonyms, but they are not (at least with respects to an iPhone sold in the USA).
    Let me explain, my wife bought an iPhone in the USA and she could only use it with AT&T. The phone was "locked" to AT&T and it could not be used with another carrier.
    A "jailbroken" iPhone can use third party apps (not from the apple store), but the iPhone is still "locked" to AT&T. There are ways of unlocking a jailbroken phone, but if the phone is restored to original iOS software, it will go back to its "locked" state.
    After the compulsory two-year commitment, AT&T can "unlock" the phone. Once "unlocked", the phone can use any SIMs from any carrier.
    As a matter of fact, my wife gave her iPhone to her mother in Mexico. Telcel asked if the phone was "liberado" (meaning, can it be used with any carrier).

12. lmgutie Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    So, it sounds like people want to "liberar" their iPhones from both the device manufacturer and from the carrier; two different ties, but only the manufacturer case is called "jailbreak".