Japanese Email Etiquette

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by whomadeamark, Oct 7, 2008.

1. whomadeamark Senior Member

English (UK)
    Hello,

I have a job interview tomorrow and the job involves sending and writing emails in Japanese. I was wondering what the equivalent was for 'dear...' and 'yours sincerely' or 'yours faithfully'.

Would it be 拝啓 and 敬具? or is that too formal for general business emails?

Would it be more like: ◯◯さんへ and それでは, マーク●スミス。 ?

Thank you!

2. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I find 拝啓 and 敬具 too formal for emails.

This depends on the formality of your relationship with the addressee, but a business email usually begins with:

ABC株式会社 [optional]
    XYZ様

The end part is likely to be:

以上よろしくお願いいたします。
    マーク・スミス

It may be on a different key in an English keyboard but you can type a word separator as SHIFT + ? on a Japanese keyboard.

3. Giulia2213 Senior Member

Paris, France
    French - France
    Hello,
    I hope my post will fit into this topic, as I need some help for an email to a friend.

Since my friend is in love for Japanese and Japan, I thought to start an email for her with a Japanese word (with a copy-paste, it'll make its trick).
    The rest of the mail will be in French (my sister studies Japanese, I am more involved into European languages like Italian or Modern Greek).

Do you think that the equivalent of "hello" or "hi" in Japanese will make its trick ? Or something like "Dear Anna" (she is an old friend, she has known me since I was a baby, so an informal way to say "Dear Anna") ?

Thanks in advance for your help

4. whomadeamark Senior Member

English (UK)
    I would probably open with:

Anna-chan e
    アンナちゃんへ

Literally, 'To Anna' with 'chan' as an informal suffix for girls.

Hope that helps!

5. Yabanjin

Yabanjin Junior Member

English
    Since the job is writing business emails, that's not a good idea.

It may be worth noting that most Japanese business emails involve an extended signature, including contact information such as telephone numbers and so on.

Incidentally I've never seen anything like the formal "seasonal greetings" in a Japanese business email.

6. Giulia2213 Senior Member

Paris, France
    French - France
    In my thread, no no, it's not a business email :)

7. Yabanjin

Yabanjin Junior Member

English
    Ah, sorry, I didn't notice the leapfrogging thread.