1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Japanese gemination rules?

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Fumiko Take, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Fumiko Take

Fumiko Take Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Does anyone know the very clear rules of Japanese gemination? I just found out that it occurs at the end of words ending with -tsu or -ku, and they're followed by k-, s-, t-, ch-, p-. Is there anything else? I'm not mentioning loan words here.

2. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    Gemination in Japanese is known as Sokuon/促音, and Hatsuon/撥音 might as well be considered one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokuon
    I'd recommend you to search a bit before asking :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. Fumiko Take

Fumiko Take Senior Member

Vietnamese
  4. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    From the above link. when NOT to geminate.
    Please read it again and tell me what is not sufficient for your question.

5. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Fumi, gemination occurs for the purpose of emphasis or as the result of a phonological constraint.

Emphatic gemination is easy. You just geminate the onset consonant of the second syllable; hence やたら is やったら emphatically.

Sharp vowels, i and u are often devoiced and eventually completely lost in intervocalic positions. Because the Japanese phonology does not allow sequences represented by C₁C₂ (where indexed C's are different consonants), the sequence is reduced to CₐCₐ. For verbal conjugations, the result of i- or u-devoicing is very rigorously backward assimilation: C₂C₂

E.g., kaer.u -> *kaer.ita -> kaetta
    yar.u -> *yar.ita -> yatta
    kat.u (phonetically realised as katsu) -> *kat.ita -> katta

Needless to say, both occasions for gemination is limited to phonological environments where the constrains listed in Tonky's #4 supra do not apply.