Japanese name writing

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Nejisa-san, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Nejisa-san Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    Hi!

Well, english is not my mother language neither, but i will try:

Im writting a 'story' (yeah, classic) that includes a japanese boy character and the name here is important. Anyways, the background really doesn´t matter, but just the name itselt, that´s why i came here for help, since i don´t have any idea of how to write japanese names. I already did most of the work and i have done the research so the 'christian' name is ready: Hirata Tsutomu. So, what i obviously need is the japanese version, in other words i need it written.
    I already said that here the only thing that matters is the name, and i mean having the name is pretty enough, so i don´t care about its meaning or the symbols you have to use to write it, i just need something that most of people in Japan would read as Hirata Tsutomu.

So, please, if you could help me here, i would really, really appreciate it, because i´ve been kind of stuck in this point for about a month trying to "write it on my own".

Thank you!

2. blutorange2 Junior Member

Saxony
    German
    You mean, you want it written in kanji, such as 平田(hirata) 勉(tsutomu)? (Some author of some random book I found on amazon bears this name.)I’m curious, as the story itself will not be written in Japanese, do you want to mention the Japanese spelling of his name once, or do you plan to use all the way throughout the story?

3. Nejisa-san Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    Yes, you kind of got it. I wrote in the message that i was 'writting' a story, because i im writting, i do, but the 'story' will have images too, so i need it written. Besides, it will come the momment when he will explain his name and he will "describe" and explain the kanjis. That´s why.

By the way, i think the name you gave me will do just fine, but i would like a "little explanation" about it, if you don´t mind. And, finaly, im curious about one thing too: nobody in Japan "write" or register a name using hiragana only or partly? I mean, all of them are written in Kanjis and stuff?

Thanks again for your help.

4. HanaIR New Member

Hokkaido,Japan
    Japanese
    i would like a "little explanation" about it

"平”="hira", means "flat" or "plane".
    "田"="ta", meas "rice fields".
    "勉"="tsutomu", means kind of "deligent" or "try hard".

>nobody in Japan "write" or register a name using hiragana only or partly? I mean, all of them are written in Kanjis and stuff?

Only little children (4 or 5 yeas old) write their own name in hiragana.
    Most Japanese learn how to write their own name in kanji in the first or second grade.

5. Nejisa-san Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    You could not have helped me more. Thank you!

Just one last thing about the hiragana point... does that mean that ALL names are "registered" - i mean, officially in the books, the State records, the japanese ID, etc - in Kanji? I mean, nobody uses the hiragana for 'writting' the names of their children, right?

6. HanaIR New Member

Hokkaido,Japan
    Japanese
    > I mean, nobody uses the hiragana for 'writting' the names of their children, right?

I think you're right, if they are not illiterate or something.

7. Nejisa-san Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    THANK YOU!

8. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    All Japanese family names are written in kanji. Given names, however, can be hiragana, katakana, kanji or any mixture thereof, although mixing scripts is very rare.

So the answer to your question is that writing the name of a child in hiragana means either the child is very young and is yet to learn the kanjis for their name or it is the only and the official way to write their name.

9. Nejisa-san Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    This is what i wanted to confirm. I guess it is just a matter of "habit" or "grammar" when the names are given. By the way, i would like to know if there is a lot of more ways to write the name or this is the only "easy/normal" one.