Japanese or the Japanese [language, people]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Yoshiee, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Yoshiee

Yoshiee Senior Member

Hi everyone

This is one of my comments in the Japanese forum however I am still wondering whether I have to put "the Japanese" instead of "Japanese".

I think that just "Japanese" could be OK, if I am Japanese. Please let me know your suggestion.

Thank you for your suggestion in advance.
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
  3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I think the first mention of Japanese refers to the language and not the people, right? The second one, which does refer to the people, should be made clear by using the article - mainly because it might be mistaken for the language used earlier and cause confusion to some. It might be even better for the second one to say "Japanese speakers" or "Japanese people" for enhanced clarity.

"Won't you eat the soup, will you?" Is this a joke about the confusion you are describing? It's not English.
  4. Yoshiee

Yoshiee Senior Member

Thank you, sdgraham

The thread is ehough for me. ( actually I looked up only " Amerians or The Americans") Sorry for disturbing you.
  5. Yoshiee

Yoshiee Senior Member

Hi JulianStuart

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will use the "Japanese speakers" or "Japanese people". This should be what I want to put in.

PS: If possible, for my learning, please let me know the correct sentence for "Won't you eat the soup, will you?" . Actually I am not putting a joking but still a learner of English.