1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Japanese / the Japanese

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Takahero, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takahero Senior Member

Japanese
    [FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]Hello.

What is the difference between the Japaneseand Japanese?

a. Tempura is loved by the Japanese.
    b. Tempura is loved by Japanese.

Thank you.
    [FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    English nouns denoting the inhabitants of a place (or demonyms) can be very peculiar. In the case of the demonyms ending in "ese" (Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese) since there is no plural marker if you're talking about them in general you say either, for instance, "the Japanese" or "Japanese people". In other words, just "Japanese" is just incorrect.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Yes, it rather depends on the word form: as Tazzler says, we can't use 'Japanese' to refer to the Japanese (people). Formerly we could, but 'Japanese' has now become an adjective only (except when it's a noun meaning the language).

However, your question is still valid for plural nouns, such as 'Americans'. Americans own a lot of guns. The Americans own a lot of guns. (The) Russians drink a lot of vodka. These are basically the same - but 'the' makes it a bit more of a national stereotype. If I say 'Russians', I mean most Russians or many Russians; if I say 'the Russians', I'm more talking about typical Russians - this is what Russians are usually like. A small difference, I suppose.

4. Takahero Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you.

In a textbook used in my class, Japanese is used without ”the” even if it means Japanese poeple in general.

Japanese should make their views known at international conferences.

Why? Is the sentence incorrect?

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.