1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Javanese: Ono jopo sewu

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by cremonagirl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. cremonagirl Junior Member

British English
    It's a long story to explain why I need to know but... this phrase seems to originate from Indonesia or Java but I can't seem to find a translation anywhere. It appears in the Java Mantra Kesakten Gaib but I don't know anything else about it.
    I would really appreciate a translation into English and maybe some context too if that's not asking too much!
    Thank you,
    N

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. elseve18 New Member

Batam
    Indonesian
    hey :) i can speak javanese. ono means there is, sewu has couple meaning, there is nyuwun sewu: means excuse me when you want to walk passing someone in front of you, or a thousand also means sewu. are sure the middle part is jopo?
    do you know what Java Mantra Kesakten Gaib means?

3. cremonagirl Junior Member

British English
    Thank you alseve18!

The phrase appears in a mantra (a kind of mystical/religious chant) that originates from Java and the name of this particular mantra is 'Kesakten Gaib'. Here it is:

10. Mantra Kesakten Gaib

Bismillahirrohmanirrohim. Ono jopo sewu, jopo siji datan tumomo. Sing mandi japaku dhewe. Laa ilaa illallah, muhammadurrosullulah.

I'm guessing that 'sewu' means 'thousand' in this case but I haven't found an online translator that will translate any of it!

4. englishnoob New Member

Jakarta, Indonesia
    Indonesian
    Mantra Kesaktian Gaib
    -Japa : mantra magis; japa mantra : mantra magis; japa yoga : puja samadi. (Spell magic;Mantra;Yoga)
    -Jopo: Pray (sansekerta/old java language)

Ono jopo sewu: There is thousand pray.

Give me a kiss mum. :p
    If you want javanese-english translator online: http://www.stars21.com/translator/javanese/

It is difficult to find those spells magic word mum because many of spells magic mixed in Javanese, Sanskrit, Arabian and sundanese.

Best regards,

Englishnoob