Je me permets de revenir vers vous

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by barbamama, Nov 29, 2006.

1. barbamama Junior Member

Comment peut-on traduire "Je me permets de revenir vers vous concerant le sujet..." en anglais ?

Moderator note: this thread is focused on translations that include the idea expressed by je me permets de. For the main discussion, please see Je viens (reviens) vers vous
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  2. hiwelcome Senior Member

France, Portugal
    France French
    I take the liberty to come back toward you regarding the topic

Please allow me to speak again on the previous topic..subject of conversation...
  3. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    you might be interested in this
  4. Anne_ Junior Member

French France

Je n'ai pas trouvé l'équivalent de la phrase "je reviens vers vous" ou "je me permets de revenir vers vous" dans le lien sité par CarolineR. La traduction de hiwelcome est-elle correcte ? Sinon, un anglophone pourrait-il donner une traduction?

Merci beaucoup!
  5. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I might say: I am taking the liberty to reapproach you regarding this matter/subject/topic.

-In my humble opinion, this is formal language.
  6. zinc Senior Member

England/ English
    If you're on the phone, I would say : "I'm just getting back to you..."
  7. Anne_ Junior Member

French France
    Je vous remercie pour vos réponses :) (dans mon cas, il s'agissait du début d'un courrier électronique)
  8. Camis12 Senior Member

England, English
    any more inspiration on this? (I have read ALL the "je me permets threads" and I still can't decide!). I need to translate the following:

Je me permets de revenir vers vous au sujet de l'applicabilité de la loi [x] et plus particulièrement d'une question que nous vous avions posée lors de notre déjeuner du [date]

This is from a letter addressed to a member of an AAI (Independant administrative authority) so the tone needs to remain quite formal. I am working on something like

"I am taking the liberty of writing to you because we would like your further input regarding the applicability of Law [x], more specifically..."

English speakers - does this sound pompous? Alternative possibility:

"I am writing in order to request your further input regarding..."

I know that we frequently don't need to translate "je me permets" but in this case the whole letter has a rather deferential tone which I would like to reflect.

I appreciate your input, thanks.
  9. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I hope you don't mind my getting back to you about that issue of the X law that we discussed over lunch. Particularly, I wondered...
  10. mec_américain Senior Member

US, English
    I would like to ask a few more questions on the subject of X, if I might.
  11. Camis12 Senior Member

England, English
    In fact, we do not want to ask any more questions, but for her to put the answer she has already given in writing ;)

Interesting suggestions though, thank you.
  12. lycendre New Member

I would like to use this phrase in a very formal letter (a reminder re outstanding sums). How should I translate "Je me permets de revenir vers vous concernant la facture XXX"? I guess the phrase "I get back to you regarding the invoice XXX" won't be formal enough, doesn't it?

Thank you very much for your kind help!
  13. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)

no, that is not formal; not shockingly informal, just not formal if that is the impression you want to give. Why not just say "I am writing to you about (ou concerning)......

Even in informal writing though you would not usually say "I am getting back to you about... " as it is a bit long/unnecessary - you usually use "get back to" to say, eg. "I'll get back to you about that," referring to something in the future.
  14. pifpafplouf New Member

Français - France
  15. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

L'expression anglaise est I'm getting back to you. (Sans by, qui précéderait éventuellement un jour ou une heure.)

L'expression n'a rien d'américain à mon avis--elle est universelle dans le monde anglophone.