1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Je n'aime pas qu'on se dispute

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Guill, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Hello,

Tonight I was chatting with a friend and we had a little argument. Though I know it wouldn't change our friendship, I don't like it (obviously...). Then I texted her back, and wanted to write that "je n'aime pas qu'on se dispute". On the go, what came to my mind was "I don't like us arguing". But when I thought about it later, it didn't sound as English as it was on the first time. So, is this sentence correct in English ? What other sentences could I have said ? Now I think I could just have written "I don't like when we argue", but I bet it's not idiomatic, is it ?

2. SunnyS Senior Member

I don't like it when we argue - is fine

Let's not argue + add something nice

bonne chance :)

3. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    SunnyS is, as usual, spot on. At the same time your "I don't like us arguing" sounds perfectly okay to us on this side of the pond.

4. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    What do you mean by "something nice" ? The only thing I can think of after this is "shall we ?"... Could you give me an example please ?

Ok, shall I deduce from this that it isn't BE ?

5. SunnyS Senior Member

LOL that depends on the type of friendship! I see now that it wasn't clear.

What I meant was it would sound very native for someone to say, "Let's not argue, you know how much I like you/our friendship/ talking to you/etc etc"

If you simply send a message saying "Let's not argue," it's a bit blunt. You need to follow it with something nice. :)

===============
    The only thing I can think of after this is "shall we"

Gramatically that is fine too (Let's not argue, shall we?), but in AE that makes you sound like a 40 yr old to me. Maybe it's just my interpretation... :D

Let's not argue like that, OK? - this sounds more "young adult" to me.

I don't like it when we spar - this is BE only!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Ok, I get the idea :) And it's just a friendship and nothing else, that's why there's no point going further with this !

7. Aistriúchán Senior Member

English - Ireland
    I don't like it when we spar
    fall out
    argue
    quarrel
    have an argument

8. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    I expected "shall we ?" not to be that "cool" language, but once again that's what we're taught at school.
    Thanks for these useful explanations and all these propositions :)

9. Aistriúchán Senior Member

English - Ireland
    Another option:

"I don't like it when we have a row."

10. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    "I don't like us arguing" sounds fine on this side of the pond as well. Personally I prefer it over "I don't like it when we argue." It's less stuffy.

11. jscottseptembre Senior Member

autant être en enfer
    American English

12. johnblacksox Senior Member

English - US
    "I don't like when we argue" - That's 100% fine. First choice, I'd say.

Also you could say, "I don't like arguing with you". Or "I don't like that we're arguing".

Other very common sayings in this situation are "I don't want to argue with you", or "I don't want to argue over this", or "It's not worth arguing over".