1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Je ne tu comprends pas

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by avec amour, Apr 5, 2006.

1. avec amour New Member

Malaysian
    Je ne tu comprends pas means I can't understand you... Please correct me if I'm wrong... Thanks!

2. KittyCatty

KittyCatty Senior Member

Cambridge
    English UK
    I think it's Je ne te comprends pas

3. avec amour New Member

Malaysian
    Can you tell me the usage between tu and te (you)...

4. KittyCatty

KittyCatty Senior Member

Cambridge
    English UK
    I'll have a go! Tu is the subject you. You understand is tu comprends. But if you say I don't understand you, 'you' in this case is not the subject, it is I who is doing the understanding. In this case in french, te is used rather than tu to go with the verb. It is the same with I see you 'Je te vois' and other verbs like this.

However, it is also necessary to know that te also means 'to you'. If I give something to you, it is 'je te donne quelque chose'. This happens with all verbs followed by à e.g. listen to - écouter à. this become je t'écoute (an abbreviated version of je te écoute, this doesn't exist in french.)

I hope I have been clear, maybe someone else can explain better.

KittyCatty

5. le chat noir

le chat noir Senior Member

Paris, France
    French (by birth!), some English, a bit of Russian and traces of German
    "tu" is the pronoun for the subject (tu me vois)
    "te" is for the object complement, either direct (je te vois <=> je vois toi) or indirect (je te donne <=> je donne à toi)

Note that the pronoun toi is practically never used alone in usual French, alhough it is gramatically correct (it can be said only to put a great emphasis on the object). The previous sentences are just meant as an explanation.

toi will usually be used only in conjunction with other complements of the same nature, like for instance : Je le dis à toi et aux autres or je vois toi et les autres.

"toi" can replace "te" but never "tu". For instance, "toi me parles" is incorrect, but "je parle à toi" is correct (in that case, it means something like "It's you I'm speaking to", as an great emphasis on "you").

So as a way to choose between "tu" and "te" you could try to replace it with "toi" and see how it sounds.

6. gliamo Senior Member

Ireland
    France, French
    It is similar to the difference between I and me.

7. avec amour New Member

Malaysian
    I think I got it... Thanks... :eek: