1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

je ne vous le fais pas dire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Grinder, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Grinder Senior Member

london
    UK, English
    [FONT=Sans Serif,Helvetica,Arial][SIZE=-2]Receptionist: [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Sans Serif,Helvetica,Arial]Ah, c'est embêtant, ça. [/FONT][FONT=Sans Serif,Helvetica,Arial][SIZE=-2]Woman: [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Sans Serif,Helvetica,Arial]Ah, je ne vous le fais pas dire[/FONT]
    I presume the reply means "i don't need you to tell me it", but if so why does it have fais in the construction parce que je dirait - je ne vous le dites pas

2. MattF

MattF Senior Member

Cambridge
    English UK
    "It's not I making you say it" (or "it's not me" if you prefer);

"You don't say...."

"Tell me about it..."

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Good question. I've always used that expresssion without wondering why it was worded that way. So I couldn't really tell.
    From your suggested translations, I can see you've got the meaning right, both of you.
    I don't know if it would work as a translation (yours are probably better) but to me, the English "I couldn't agree more" seems to convey exactly the same meaning.

4. Grinder Senior Member

london
    UK, English
    it's taken from a sentence where she's speaking to a receptionist at a car hire company, complaining that her car has broken down ...... so i thought it was meant to be a bit sarcastic she's irritated after the receptionist says "what a pain".

5. shenley Junior Member

France
    England living in France
    You ask, "why does it have fais in the construction?". The answer is in the grammar books : "faire faire quelquechose à quelqu'un" = "make somebody do something" . In this case, the literal translation is "I don't make you say it", an idiomatic expression equivalent to "you can say that again" signifying strong agreement with what has been said.

6. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    how about : "you said it !" ? (awaiting confirmation from natives)

7. bernik Senior Member

Brittany - french
    Quand on utilise cette formule,
    je crois qu'on ne réfléchit pas vraiment à la signification des mots.

The words say "It's not I making you say it".
    It means that we both came to the same conclusion independently,
    so we must be right.

But it is said with so much vehemence
    that what we tend to understand is:
    I don't need you to tell me ! (= à qui le dites vous !)

It is somewhat confusing.

8. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    I think it can be used in two slightly different ways :
    - said in a conversational tone, it would just mean agreement as has been stated (=je pense la même chose, mais je n'ai pas eu besoin de vous influencer pour vous le faire dire)
    - or it can be said with an irritated tone, if one just demonstrated to someone that he/she made a mistake of some sort, and got the person to admit it (=j'avais bien remarqué, il était temps que vous fassiez de même)

9. zam

zam Senior Member

England
    England -french (mother tongue) & english
    Ah, je ne vous le fais pas dire = 'you can say that again !' (in BE -not sure about AE)

10. daffo30 New Member

Alès
    french
    je fais (forme affirmative)
    je ne fais pas (forme négative)
    je ne le fais pas (forme négative avec complément d'objet direct antéposé)
    je ne vous le fais pas (forme négative avec complément d'objet direct antéposé et complément d'objet indirect)

je est toujours sujet du verbe