1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

je pense que je me monterais moins la tête

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by nofancypants, Jan 3, 2007.

1. nofancypants Senior Member

Surrey, UK - English
    Hey, I was wondering if any French speaker could make sense of this, I'm a bit baffled:
    "Par rapport a sa mere, je pense que je me monterai moins la tete. Elle s'est fait bouffer par ses illusions. Nous, on a des reves, mais pas d'illusions."
    (Sorry about the lack of accents)

My guess is: "From the relationship with my mother, I think that I will get on minus the head? She is (something) by her illusions. We have dreams, but not illusions."

It's a boy voicing his opinion on parent-teen relationships and I'm supposed to say whether I agree with him or not! Lol could anyone help me out about what he's trying to say?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Rough explanation (not a translation)--note that this is very colloquial/poorly written French:

Regarding his/her mother, my position is that I wouldn't care that much about her. She (the mother) has been destroyed by her illusions. We (i.e., young people, the mother is ooooooooooooooooold) have dreams, sure, but no illusions.

I hope this makes more sense for you... :eek:

3. manchester Junior Member

Français
    Of course, this is very colloquial French; "se monter la tête" is "to worry",
    "se faire bouffer" litterally means "to get eaten up", anyway, I would translate as follows: "as far as his (her) mother is concerned, I think I wouldn't worry...she has been misled by her illusions; we do have dreams, not illusions." Does this make sense to you?

4. misadro

misadro Senior Member

sorry .. misread

5. nofancypants Senior Member

Surrey, UK - English
    Thank you! Yes I can see where he is coming from now - I think the fact that it's colloquial french just really puzzles me. Not really sure what the "illusions" are, but never mind.

Anyway merci beaucoup for your suggestions!

6. manchester Junior Member

Français
    Are you correcting "misled"? I was in fact thinking of "misleading"( going the wrong way...) ,not "misreading" !