je t'adore / je t'aime / je t'aime beaucoup

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by catmint11, Dec 18, 2005.

1. catmint11 Junior Member

chinese
    may i know which one show stronger sensation of "love"

je t'aime or je t'aime beaucoup or je t'adore

i think je t'adore is stronger than je t'aime and latter one is stronger than je t'aime beaucoup, am i right?

Moderator note: Multiple threads merged to create this one. This thread is about adorer and aimer (beaucoup) for people. For impersonal/inanimate usage, please see aimer / adorer. For "like" v.s. "love," please see je t'aime / je t'aime bien.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. la reine victoria Senior Member

Hi Catmint,

1. Je t'adore
    2. Je t'aime beaucoup.
    3. Je t'aime.

3. franck_usa

franck_usa New Member

atlanta usa
    french
    well the verb adore is mostly used to tell to a friend that he's a good friend .
    in french you hardly ever use " adore" to tell to your boy/girlfriend that you love her/him
    i love you means je t'aime
    i love you so much means je t'aime beaucoup
    i love you to death means je t'aime a la folie

anyway you have numerous ways to express your feelings to someone in french

4. Nza Junior Member

Cardiff
    Cardiff English
    Je t'adore is the strongest feeling catmint11

5. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    As I had already said in another thread, what's weird is that 'adorer' is supposed to be stronger than 'aimer' but is not. You can say that to your friends while you definitively couldn't say 'aimer'.
    ex: Agnès, je l'adore, elle est trop sympa. :D (first name that came to my mind, sorry) et pas Agnès, je l'aime, elle est trop sympa (sorry again :p ).
    So I disagree with Nza, sorry, but 'je t'aime' is far stronger than 'je t'adore' (as I see it).

6. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

I agree that aimer is stronger than adorer...

Mais, posts #2 and #3 are in conflict... is it:

je t'aime (strong)
    je t'aime beaucoup (stronger)

or the other way around??? Cheers.

7. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Hello!

Yes, the other way around.

on #3, ''I love you so much'' is stronger than ''I love you'', but ''I love you so much'' does not mean ''Je t'aime beaucoup'', it means ''Je t'aime tellement.''

"Je t'aime beaucoup'' is ''I love:cross: like :tick: you a lot''.

Edit: The HO's translation is absolutely correct = "I like you very much''

8. The Ho

The Ho Senior Member

Paris
    F F
    Je t'aime : I love you
    Je t'aime beaucoup : I like you very much

Never say to your sweetheart : Je t'aime beaucoup, he/she would feel it's not forever.

9. Rinias Junior Member

Washington, DC
    English/USA
    That's so funny... I didn't know that! Though I would say that if you said "Je t'aime" often enough, "je t'adore" could become very useful... :D And one of the things that I really miss about English is poetic license. I mean, I could chose to make "je t'adore" stronger than "je t'aime" if i wanted to. Or I could just make something up. French seems (is?) much more strict in regard to that... Just my 2 cents :D

Rinias

10. akhater Junior Member

Ain Saade - Lebanon -
    Lebanon - Arabic - French - English
    Well "je t'adore" simply means I adore you it's the same in English

11. lyrwriter Senior Member

English (US)
    Anglophones learning French are often confused by the fact that "adorer" is translated as "to love" and "aimer" as "to like", yet one says "je t'adore" to a friend and "je t'aime" to a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse. I just thought of something that might make this distinction seem clearer and more logical...hopefully...:D

If you can;) , try to remember way back in middle and high school, when everyone had crushes on everyone else. When talking about/dealing with crushes, one nearly always uses the verb "to like", i.e.

"Did you hear? Josh likes Caitlin!"

In this context, this always implies romance. Telling someone "I like you" nearly always means you "like" them as more than a friend (this is an example of the complicated distinction between "like" and "like":rolleyes: :D). Very rarely do you hear the word "love" in regard to romance except in the case of established relationships.

Yet in high school especially, it's extremely easy to tell anyone, regardless of gender, that you love them (e.g. "David, I love you! You're awesome!"). This carries few connotations regarding romance and many regarding friendship.

Perhaps it's easier to keep the difference between "je t'aime" and "je t'adore" clear in your mind if you think of high school relationships?...

Just a thought...:eek: I know my explanation must be extremely confusing...

12. xav

xav Senior Member

Paris
    France
    Ce n'est pourtant pas si compliqué. Comme une inflation terrible a cours dans ce domaine comme dans beaucoup d'autres (voir l'évolution du verbe "adorer", qui signifiait au départ "se mettre à plat ventre, ou à genoux, devant quelqu'un"), nous avons réservé la formule "je t'aime" à la déclaration d'amour, et à l'expression de sentiments très forts.

C'est pourquoi, lorsque certains chrétiens (dont je fais partie) chantent "je t'aime de l'amour du Seigneur", ils évitent en général de se regarder dans les yeux. Cette phrase provoque en français une certaine gêne, je ne sais pas s'il en est de même en anglais.

"Je t'aime beaucoup" est donc une façon de répondre non à la question (implicite ou explicite) "M'aimes-tu ?"

Et "Il/elle ne m'aime plus" est aussi une phrase lourde de sens.

13. CrazyDaisy Junior Member

English (England)
    Hello
    Please help me! I know the translations of the words (I love you, I adore you) But which is stronger? If someone tells me "Je t'aime" is it as strong as "I Love You" in English?
    Is Je t'adore less strong? (more like "I like you a lot" or "you are wonderful"?)

I need to understand the way these expressions are used not just the direct translations. (Its important :) !!!)

Thank you so much
    (and any other tips or useful expressions for this kind of thing would be really helpful too)

Moderator note: for a discussion of non-romantic usage, please see aimer / adorer

14. frenchaudrey Senior Member

Lyon
    French, France
    Hi

Welcome on the Forum ;)

I don't know the way you use "I love you" etc.. in English, but I'll try to make you understand the way I use the other expressions in French.
    Personally I would use "je t'adore" for friends, or for my boyfriend at the beginning of a relationship, and "je t'aime" for him a little later, because it implies much stronger feelings ;)

Hope you got what I mean :)

15. Violet Green Senior Member

English. Ireland
    "Je t'adore" can be playful, you can risk saying it just for fun, for example if a friend of the other sex has made a joke and you've just had a good laugh. It doesn't imply that you necessarily want to go out with him en tête à tête.
    You can't say "je t'aime" so casually.

16. shamtown New Member

English - United States
    Personally, I would use "adorer" for loving a thing (I love coffee! - j'adore le cafe) and "aimer" for romantic or familial love (I love you - je t'aime). And perhaps if I was saying an informal "I love you" to a platonic friend that just did something great ("Like, omg, I love you!", for example) I would use je t'adore!

so perhaps it's a formal "I love you" vs an an informal one.

hope that helps just a little.

17. titi82 Senior Member

France
    Some might disagree with me, but strangely enough
    j'aime le café=I like vs j'adore le café=I love
    but... je t'aime=I love you vs je t'adore=I really like you

go figure... (and if ever involved with a french person, don't get them mixed up)

18. aimZ_xox Junior Member

Australia - English
    Hi everyone!

If you are talking to your boyfriend or girlfriend - to say, 'I love you' would you use either:

je t'aime!

or...

je t'adore!

I've always been confused about which one would be used in this context.

Merci. :)

19. Heaven_2709 Junior Member

France
    French - France
    Salut aimZ_xox!

S'il s'agit d'exprimer tes sentiments amoureux, je te conseille "je t'aime".

Quant à "je t'adore", je l'utilise plus pour des personnes que j'apprécie énormément, amis proches, famille...

Adorer peut également signifier "to worship"

20. Crème Brulée Senior Member

Paris
    Ireland (English)
    Hi,
    You're right, it is confusing, because us anglophones see "aimer" as "to like" and "adorer" as "to love".
    However, in French, when talking to a boyfriend/girlfriend, you would say "je t'aime" to mean "I love you."

[...]

21. usmarinewife New Member

Engish
    What does this mean in English : Je t'aime beaucoup?

22. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    "I love you very much"

23. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    I love you a lot.

24. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Hi Cropje,
    what is the difference between "I love you very much" and "I love you a lot" ?
    I can't feel the subtle difference
    thanks ! :)

25. danelsr12 New Member

Colombian Spanish
    Actually there's not so much differences, in English you can find lots of adverbs that they're really the same, you can say so much, very much, a lot, etc. those are quantity adverbs

26. racehorse

racehorse Senior Member

California
    USA, English
    This is true but more sublte meanings come out as tone, connotation, and voice. This is an artifact of English not being a very inflected langauge, the vocabulary and idiomatic expressions dictate a lot of the subtleties. Fortunately, about 1/3 of that vocabularly comes from French.

For instance, here, "I love you very much" might be something a someone would say to their spouse of 20 years and is not necessarily very sexual. I would have to do more with commitment than with passion. It could also be meant to be reassuring, if a child feels like he/ she has disapointed his/ her parent this might be a good time to say this.

It is harder to find a context for "I love you a lot." It would probably not be said out of the blue, better a response to a question like, "How much do you love me?" or it could be part of a break up, "I love you a lot but...I think we should just be friends/ it's not working out/ but my job is more important to me," et cetera. (Is there an equivalent to this in the Francophone world that gets used a lot? "I think we should just be friends")

Anyways, I imagine this to be one of the trickiest things about English so I thought it would be good as my first post in the french forums.

27. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    not really an equivalent ; I think all depends on the tone you say it :
    "je t'aime beaucoup, mais ....." ;)

28. sanne78 Senior Member

France
    Dutch
    Sorry, I'm slightly off topic, but I never know how to say in French "I like you a lot/very much"...

I love you = Je t'aime.
    I love you a lot/very much = Je t'aime beacoup.

I like you = Je t'aime bien.
    I like you a lot /very much = ????? :confused:

Also:

I don't love you = Je t'aime pas.
    I don't like you = Je t'aime pas. (???) :confused:

:)

29. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    that's how I feel it though ! :)

30. tonality Junior Member

English - Southern California
    agreed with everything so far. "i love you very much" is much more sincere, so to speak, than "i love you a lot."

31. Keridwen Junior Member

Dijon, France
    French -France
    "Je t'aime beaucoup " is generally followed by "mais..."
    for instance: "Je t'aime beaucoup, mais tu es comme un frère pour moi, et je ne voudrais pas gâcher cette relation entre nous." (typical girl sentence meaning: you're way too ugly/poor/dull to have social intercourse with me)
    How frustating ! Beware of "je t'aime beaucoup".

32. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

Many answers already for a regular topic; I just want to add that Adorer and Aimer beaucoup express the same thing at various intensity, with Adorer usually stronger.
    Aimer (when talking someone) is a different feeling (although it can be seen as stronger in power)

[...]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  33. MyuuNoMegami New Member

Washington State, USA
    English - America
    Bon jour!
    Quand on dis <<je t'aime>> et <<je t'adore>>, quelle est la
    différence?

34. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    As with I love you and I adore you, it's probably just a question of personal style. Technically, adoration is more like veneration, a form of reverence, but this applies in English too and most people ignore the distinction in both languages.

35. Missrapunzel

Missrapunzel Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Je t'aime mostly often means romantic feelings, while Je t'adore can be said to friends with no ambiguity.
    Je t'adore usually means you are fond of this person, but not in love.

36. Spanishdream New Member

Liverpool, England.
    English - U.K
    I've hardly ever hard 'Je t'adore' and it's something I would never say personally though it is used. As an English native, it sounds more passionate, romantic and intense though I have been told that is used in a more friendly sense. Complete opposite to English.
    Adoration is stonger than love one could say.

[...]

37. Missrapunzel

Missrapunzel Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Actually, the use of the word "adorer" no longer means much about genuine adoration, nowadays, in French. :rolleyes: Which I'm sure can be very confusing.
    J'adore le chocolat, j'adore faire la grasse matinée, j'adore mon travail, j'adore décorer le sapin de Noël....

[...]

38. rebusico New Member

Portuguese (Brasil)
    If someone says to you:

"je t'aime beaucoup, ma vie avec toi c'est très bien"

Please, what does it mean?

Thanks
    Renata

39. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Welcome Rebusico :)

litterally : "I love you a lot, I enjoy my life with you" (a native would be more accurate though)

40. rebusico New Member

Portuguese (Brasil)
    If it's a native French that says would mean differently? What it would mean?

41. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Sorry, I don't understand your question :eek: can you word it a different way?

42. rebusico New Member

Portuguese (Brasil)
    Sorry :-(

I understand what it mean but u said that a native would have said differently right?
    Well, a French native person said that to me and I would like to know what does it mean. What is the difference if a native say that phrase

43. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    ha! when I said "a native" I meant "an english native" ,because of my translation in english, but the meaning is the same. Have you got it?

44. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hello and welcome to the forums, rebusico :)

Micia meant that her translation into English might be better phrased by a native English speaker.
    What your friend meant was something like:
    "I like you a lot, my life with you is great."

45. Wozzeck Senior Member

Paris
    French
    When you say to a friend "je t'adore...", from my point of view this is an emphasis, a kind of hyperbole, "adorer" is understood here in a more figurative way, we can say also this is a kind of joke, the two persons know this is exaggerated.

Moreover "adorer" doesn't always mean "love between two lovers". The first meaning is "adorer Buddha or any other God". So we come back to a kind of joke with your friend : I love you not as you could be my lover, but I love you as I could love god... this is an hyperbole.

But if you say : "je t'adore" to someone who could be your wife or husband, this is different, there is no joke of hyperbole.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  46. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Sorry, but to me "je t'aime" is still the strongest way to expression love.
    If my husband said "je t'adore" to me, or whispered "je t'adore" in my ear, and never "je t'aime", I would be more than annoyed (worried more like).
    To me, "je t'adore" doesn't have a hint of romanticism in it... I mean, it would be strange to receive flowers from your loved one with "Je t'adore" on it, or shouting "Je t'adore" off the top of a roof. Why not "Je t'aime beaucoup" or "je t'aime vraiment bien" ! :p
    Personally I have no problem saying "je t'adore" to friends. "je t'aime" is far harder to say and in theory is not used among friends (well, at least I don't. But then I was brought up as a repressed catholic :D).

47. Wozzeck Senior Member

Paris
    French
    Each woman is different and may feel things differently, for that reason "vive le français", which offer various ways to say something.

But I was just explaining the "hyperbole" in the case of friend, I have personally no opinion on what is better between "Je t'adore", "Je t'aime beaucoup" ... in case of lovers.

But I know now what I should say to you...:)

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  48. rebusico New Member

Portuguese (Brasil)
    So if I understand right it means that when they say je t'aime beaucoup it doesn't mean that they love you, just that they like to be with u. I asking because f

49. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    yes it does, since the next sentence is "my life with you is great"

50. rebusico New Member

Portuguese (Brasil)
    Thanks a lot / merci beaucoup :)