Je t'embrasse très fort

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by meandmyfrench, Mar 8, 2006.

1. meandmyfrench New Member

english
    Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

What does this mean exactly ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    lots of love

3. Fred-erique Senior Member

French living in Spain
    It's "je t'embrasse très fort"..... I give you a big kiss!

4. kariana Junior Member

LYON
    france french
    "je t embrasse"
    = +/- lots of hugs/ kisses / love

you write it to show that you really appreciate a person that is far away....

(you usually write it down at the end of the letter)

5. i could be wrong, but i think that literally it is "i hug/kiss you very hard". nobody would say this in english, though, and so "lots of love/hugs/kisses" is right. :D

6. jimmyquek Senior Member

Malay Malaysia
    je vous embrasse

is it " I kiss you " or " I embrace you " ?

7. maddief24 Senior Member

English, Pennsylvania, United States
    Is this appropriate for friends (even ones of the opposite sex or will it be misconstrued)???

8. Smerpy Senior Member

Nantes, France
    English(UK)/French
    In my mind it is perfectly appropriate for friends/family/lovers, although it does imply a lot of affection.

9. ianne Junior Member

antony
    french (France)
    Je t'embrasse is OK for very fond friends, even of opposite sex.

10. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

France
    Français
    "Je t'embrasse" (without très fort) is perfectly OK for friends, and does not imply any very strong affection.
    Note : In France, nowadays, friends of the opposite sex do kiss all the time to say hello or goodbye. So it is perfectly normal for opposite sex friends. Girls do also kiss their girl-friends, so it is perfectly normal between girls. However, boy friends mostly shake hands, so do not use this expression if you are a boy writing to a boy.

As for the expression "je t'embrasse très fort", My advice is that it should only be used between intimate girl friends, or members of a close family. (Parents, brothers, sisters.)

Remember that it is useless to add Capital X shaped little crosses at the end of a letter to symbolise kisses, because no one will understand it in France.

11. MadameC Junior Member

USA English
    Bonjour a tous...

I understand the meaning of this expression, but I'm not quite sure how I'd translate this in English...any suggestions?

Merci!

12. VixenFox Banned

USA English
    It's just a way of signing a letter. We generally write "Love, Jenny." My French friends write "Je t'embrasse," "Je t'embrasse très fort," "Gros bisous," "Grosses bises." These are expressions that sound odd when translated into English because we just don't use the words in the same way. If I picture, "Je t'embrasse très fort," I picture someone holding someone tightly and kissing them hard. It's easiest to just accept it as "Love," and not try to translate it or picture it! VixenFox

13. my-own-fantasy Senior Member

English-USA
    Hi MadameC,
    Translated directly into English, " je t'embrasse tres fort" means "I'm hugging you very hard."
    I'm not sure if it's an expression or not.
    Hope it helps!

14. VixenFox Banned

USA English
    "I'm hugging you very hard" is absolutely NOT an expression in American English.

Does "embrasser" only mean "to hug" in French, or can it also mean "to kiss?"

15. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    In French, i can think of (at least) 3 meanings for "embrasser"
    1. to kiss
    2. to hug, put both arms around someone
    3. embrasser une carrière = to start a carreer

16. my-own-fantasy Senior Member

English-USA
    Sorry,
    I knew that it wasn't an expression, but that's what it translated to. I've only ever heard the verb "embrasser" in the term to hug.
    Sorry for any misunderstandings in my part!

17. zazap Senior Member

Valencia
    Canada, French and English
    I tend to interpret the word embrasser as meaning "to kiss" in an expression like "je t'embrasse très fort".

18. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

if it's at the end of a letter or email, it would be the same as signing "much love,"--warm greetings for a friend or relative, but not necessarily in a romantic way

19. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    There's no need to be sorry for anything! :)
    If you look closely at "embrasser" (here, have my glasses), you'll see em/bras/ser :)

20. franglette Senior Member

UK English
    salut tout le monde

could someone explain the difference between

je t'embrasse

and

je t'embrasse très fort

thanks!

21. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Well, if you write "je t'embrasse" at the end of a letter, it means "kisses"
    if you write "... très fort", it's "hugs & kisses"
    There's more feeling, strength and enthusiasm in "je t'embrasse très fort"

22. Sitaa Senior Member

India
    France French
    Hi Franglette,

You can compare it as well with "Thank you" and "thank you very much" except you're speaking about kiss and not thanks....

Kisses and lots of kisses

23. franglette Senior Member

UK English
    thank you both!

24. wrkrak New Member

USA, English
    Hello,

One of my friend mentioned the following phrase in an email, more specifically at the end of the email.

"je t'embrasse très fort"

What exactly does the above expression mean?

Thanks in advance for your help

25. JJC Senior Member

Canada - english
    I hug you very hard. -- like signing "BIG HUGS ...."

embrasser can also mean kiss , but with très fort - "very strong" --- I went with the hug

26. Michel paris Junior Member

Canada
    In the modern and informal.

Big Hugs...

27. wildan1

The closest thing you would write in an English letter would be "Much love,"

Big hugs would be more in its register like gros bisous (big kisses)

28. lionchat Junior Member

south west France
    English but living in France
    A man I met recently has sent me a text ending with 'Je t'embrasse tres fort'

What does this mean...would it be said between friends or is there something more in it?

Thanks in advance.

29. vincere Junior Member

french, France
    It's really depend of your relationship...But it's more use between family members, like father to son...

30. lionchat Junior Member

south west France
    English but living in France
    I have known him a couple of weeks and met him for a drink twice, there is definetly a sexual attraction there.....is he just being friendly or something more?

31. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    I'd say "something more" ;)

32. VictaHeri Senior Member

English (USA)
    If you'd like a very rough translation:
    I kiss you hard.
    Not very accurate. Or commonly said in English, for that matter...

33. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    It could also be a big hug -- but a very big one. Yeah, there's something there!

Bonne chance.

34. enJoanet

enJoanet Senior Member

London UK
    Français

Yes...very rough indeed!:p
    In that particular case, I'd say that "fort" rather means "kind"or "kindly" But both "I kiss you kindly' or "kindly kiss" sound strange in English...

Joan

35. VictaHeri Senior Member

English (USA)
    kiss someone hard? I'm not up on vocabulary pertaining to romance...

36. wildan1

In AE this is equivalent to signing a note/email: Much love,

(This guy is definitely interested in you...)

37. poireau Senior Member

English, USA
    Bonjour,

What do people mean when they say "Je t'embrasse tres fort?"

Merci!

38. icecreamsoldier

icecreamsoldier Senior Member

New Zealand English
    It's like saying "lots of hugs" or "lots of love", used at the end of an email.

39. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

London
    UK English (& rusty French…)
    The UK equivalent, imo, would be "love you loads" or "big hugs" or "warm hugs". This is used between family members or close friends

40. Missrapunzel

Missrapunzel Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Yes and also (especially I would say) between 2 people who are in a relationship! ;)

41. dominixque Senior Member

Français
    big kisses

42. schatje81 New Member

English
    je t'embrasse fort; je t'embrasse très fort; encore et encore des bisous; gros bisous remplis de tendresse

Hi... I am new to this forum. Can someone help me translate the above? A close friend of mine who is French (a guy), love to include French phrases in his mail to me. I have been using online dictionary to translate most of the words, but sometimes it translates pretty oddly.

Thank you very much in advance.

43. deus585 New Member

English - US
    This is my first post in these forums, but since they have helped me so much, I figured I may be able to help out with something this simple even though my grasp of the language is still very much intermediate.

"I embrace (hug) you tightly; I hug you very tightly; kisses again and again; fat kisses full of tenderness"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've gathered, hope this helps =)

44. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    Literally you're quite right - but in effect these phrases all essentially mean "hugs and kisses", usually as a sign-off in a letter or e-mail, for instance.

45. mimi davis New Member

English-American
    Hello all and thank you for help inadvance!!

My question involves the implication or tone that is meant by using Je t'embrasse très fort and je t'embrasse fort at the end of a letter.

My (I am female) french friend (male) uses these phrases to close our frequent emails. There is a history of an affair between us that ended due to geography but we remain close.

If he just being friendly or are these phrases "deeper" in meaning in this context?

Thanks so much

46. Rainbow-vs Junior Member

South of France
    English UK - Français France
    Hi Mimi ...

That is a phrase I use very often at the end of my letters or emails, to very good friends that I am very fond of ... male or female.

I don't think it has any special deeper meaning, but only you can know that!! ;-)

47. Léa123

Léa123 Senior Member

France
    French - France
    You can see he really cares about you. But as to being friendly or not, it would depend on the tone of the rest of the letter.

48. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    I don't think a guy would very often use "je t'embrasse très fort" when writing to just any of his male friends, and would simply (at the most?) write "je t'embrasse" when writing to a good female friend.

As a woman, I would take "je t'embrasse très fort" written by a guy at least as a sign of strong affection/bond. It can also be used in a context of empathy/sympathy.
    I mean my brother wouldn't say that to me ;), except maybe if I sound desperately in need of support "Allez, je t'embrasse très fort, courage, ça va aller ".

49. Rainbow-vs Junior Member

South of France
    English UK - Français France
    I agree with the guy to guy bit ... but for the rest ...

Well, I am in the South of France, maybe people are more demonstrative here ... :D :D :D

50. mimi davis New Member

English-American
    thank you all so much! i appreciate responses and help!
    have a great day!
    mimi