1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

jersey

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Encolpius, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, what do footballers wear, Trikot oder Leibchen? Thank you.

2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Trikot. In some Austrian dialects "Leiberl" would be OK, but not in standard German. In standard German children or young women wear Leibchen. To say to an adult man he be wearing a Leibchen would almost be an insult.

3. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian

Thank you Berndf, it's very interesting what you wrote about kids and girls. So a guy (no football player) wears a Trikot as well? thanks.

4. Kurtchen Senior Member

German - Norddeutschland
    Well, where I live we wear bibs (AKA Leibchen) during training and warm-up footie sessions without feeling emasculated at all :D

5. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    But you wouldn't call them "Leibchen", would you?:eek:

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    The word "Trikot" is mainly used for sports clothing.

7. Frederika Junior Member

German
    Fußballspieler tragen Trikots. Leibchen kann man hier nicht benutzen.

Das Wort Leibchen ist im Hochdeutschen ohnehin veraltet und wird quasi gar nicht mehr verwendet.

8. Kurtchen Senior Member

German - Norddeutschland
    My point was that players wear both :D, Leibchen usually on top of Trikots. They are not worn as official parts of the uniform.

9. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Now I see what you mean. Valid and accepted. This is what Kurtchen is referring to.

I was and still am under the impression that the question was concerned with the southern use of Leibchen which means T-shirt.

10. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    One small correction concerning the stylistic level of Austrian "Leiberl": I guess it is safe to say that in Austrian German "Leiberl" indeed is standard language.

What a football player wears here in Austria either is a Trikot or a Leiberl - never a Leibchen. Both Trikot and Leiberl are also used in mass media (quality newspapes included).
    Österreichisches Wörterbuch (öbv&hpt) which usually is rather 'conservative' marking stylistic level (that is, some words are marked 'colloquial' which really are standard language) also does not give any colloquial or dialectal value for Leiberl - it is standard language as far as ÖWB is concerned.