Jilipollas y jilipollerías

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Reili, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Reili Banned

ESPAÑOL México
    ;) Estas palabras las he oído en películas españolas, ¿qué significan? Gracias.
    Jilipollas y jilipollerías

2. BasedowLives

BasedowLives Senior Member

uSa
    gilipollas i believe

basically, a jerk

creo que es bien vulgar

3. el_empollon Senior Member

Vancouver, Canada
    Spain Spanish/English
    Yup basedowlives that's pretty much it. It's anything related to "silly/dumb". Another possibility for it would probably be arsehole/airhead/dimwhit/halfbrain -- anything along those lines.

4. jose23morales

jose23morales Junior Member

Mexico
    Mexico Español
    jilipollas > estupido > stupid

lilipollerias > estupideces > so stupidity

I think this is the best mean / Creo que es el mejor sentido de la palabra

5. Mei

Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Hola, en muchas peliculas la traducen como "asshole". Basicamente un gilipollas es un tipo muy, muy, muy tonto,... es gilipollas!

Mei

6. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    It may well be translated as asshole but I don't think it is that strong in Spanish Spanish:

1. Everyone seems to say it
    2. Unless it is said with a great amount of force, nobody bats an eyelid.
    I wonder what the take of foreros espanyoles is on this.

7. Mei

Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Yes, but I think that it depends of who you say it to.

Both asshole and gilipollas are so strong, but its not the same if you're joking with a friend that someone hits you or something).

For me if you say that someone is gilipollas/asshole and he's not your friend is the same that if you call him motherfucker or something, it's so hard.

I hope that we don't have to use so much... it's not so pleasant!

Mei ;)

8. Jose Maria Senior Member

I live in a place in the high sky called moon. lol
    Granada (España) //// English (GB)
    I'm spanish and I haven't ever heard of gilipollerías, however do heard of gilipolleces that can be translated as bullshit as well.

See you.

9. vertigo54 New Member

Spanish and English
    There are two translations in english that really capture the idea of "jilipollas". Those would be; dipshit or dumbass. Both words may be used playfully, yet have a little more "oomph" to them than "dummy" or "dimwhit".

10. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Looking back at it, I am tempted to say fuckwit at least speaking from a BE perspective.

11. valpaso Senior Member

Spain
    American English
    I have heard jillipollas in context quite a few times, and I would take it to say, in my best translation, depending on he context of course, as....

dumbass
    stupid ass
    idiot
    they don´t know shit
    ignorant little fucks.

12. GUESS New Member

Montevideo - Uruguay
    Uruguay - Spanish
    Firstable, you must write this word with "g", no "j".

Gilipollas means, literaly, "tonto de la polla" (dick's fool... cock's fool?) and you can name this way your friends (not family!), or your "enemies", deppending of the context and the way you say it. The typical translation is "asshole", and I think this is right.

Gilipolleces (never gilipollerías), are the things these assholes do. Like "idioteces" are the thinks idiots do.

Regards (and sorry for my english!).

13. gemini1127 New Member

English - America
    en españa...es más como.... "asshole". Es MÁS vulgar que "silly" ... es un maldicho por cierto