Job Candidacy vs. Candidature

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sintonias, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    Spanish/English - Argentina/UK
    Greetings! Would one say "job candidature" or "job candidacy"?

Example: I hope you will be able to give strong consideration to my candidacy (or: candidature).

Thank you!

2. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    Sorry, I know it sounds like a dull question, but I would be most grateful if someone could clarify for me that subtle difference between candidacy and candidature that at times seem to be used inter-changeably. It's very important that in my letter, the use is correct. The question is particularly in relation to job candidacy vs. job candidature... which of the two is it?

Many thanks!

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am a bit surprised that you would use either, although the context might of course make them appropriate - likewise candidateship.
    All of these sound very pompous to me.
    I would prefer application.

Edit:
    As far as I can tell, being candid, there is no difference between candidature, candidacy and candidateship.

4. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    Thank you, Pajandrum. The term "job candidate" is a term commonly used, at least in North American English. I've never heard the term "candidateship" and wouldn't venture to use it. However, I do know that in certain contexts, it is common to request strong consideration of one's candidacy/candidature, referring to more than just the application, but also the sum of the person's qualifications and experience in making the application. My confusion is which of the two is the one commonly used in the places where it is in use.

I'll take note of your comment if this is not a term commonly used in Europe or perhaps other parts of the world. Any other suggestions on synonyms, most welcome!

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sintonias;
    There is a cultural as well as a linguistic difference involved:)
    In many contexts here what you are doing would be considered canvassing and would result in immediate disqualification.

You need advice from those who would have direct experience in this area.

Good luck.

Panj

6. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    :confused: Eek! Canvassing? Disqualification?

I had no idea! Good thing I asked! ;)

If there is anyone out there with direct experience in this area, please speak up!

Thank you...

7. rushrevisited New Member

Cincinnati, Ohio
    U.S. English
    In the U.S. I never hear the word "candidature" - in fact I didn't even know that was a word. "job candidacy" would be the correct expression here.

8. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    Thank you for the clarification, Rushrevisited! That's what I needed to know! :)

Any other cultural variations for this type of terminology, welcome...

9. nmuscatine Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    I agree, "job candidacy" is what I would use. I have heard it personally in the following context: "We have decided not to pursue your candidacy at this time." That's the formal way of saying that I didn't get the job.

10. Sintonias

Sintonias Senior Member

UK
    Thank you, NMuscatine! :) This helps to confirm the use of this term.

11. Alio New Member

French & Arabic
    I too was looking into the nuance between the 2 terms. I used "candidature". I believe you can use them interchangeably; why not let the reader either look it up (they'll find out that you're correct either way), learn something new or remain wondering. I am more familiar with "candidature" from French but, also, a professional editor proofread my letter.

12. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    A very interesting thread this one! The dictionaries say candidature and candidacy mean the same and that the former is used in BE, while the latter - in AE. I didn't know that and and I was familiar with both words. For some reason, though, probably due to interference with my own language, I tend to see "candidature" as the person running for election, while "candidacy" sounds to me like a process. So I would definitely use candidature here.
    I would not use strong consideration, though :) Perhaps I would prefer something like "I hope my candidature/application receives favourable consideration"

13. min2max New Member

Chinese
    In my experience, it seems like candidature is normally used in BE. I'm not quite sure whether candidacy is the standard counterpart of candidature in AE, but I guess it is.

14. sikonaut New Member

Ukrainian
    why not just re-phrase as "...me as a candidate..."? For me, it's more natural when someone considers someone (you) not someone's status (which candidacy/...ture is)
    and sorry for my being nudnik, I am not sure 'consideration' is given in such cases...since it's something already kept in one's mind, even if it's colloquial. see ref. in deep blue consideration (n.)
    mid-14c., "a beholding, looking at," also "keeping in mind," from Old French consideracion (12c., Modern French considération), from Latin considerationem (nominative consideratio) "consideration, contemplation, reflection," noun of action from past participle stem of considerare (see consider). Meaning "a taking into account" is from mid-15c.; that of "something given in payment" is from c.1600.

Please agree, sounds strange: "I hope you will be able to give a strong (keeping in mind) taking (into account) me as a candidate"...And besides, it's always better to use one Subject, one Predicate and a few Objects and Adjectives etc...