joke: 2 parrots sit on a perch...???

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Titelle, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Titelle Member

France, French
    Hi everybody,
    Could someone explain the joke to me:
    2 Parrots sit on a perch. One says to the other 'Can you smell fish'?
    I have to adapt it into French for a videogame, and it looks like a common joke in English.
    In the game, he person the joke is told to really cannot get it, but neither can I!!! :confused:
    Thanks in advance!
  2. AER1018 Member

American English
    This is a joke in a video game you are playing? Is there more to the joke? What exactly is happening when the joke is said? I may be able to tell you what it means if you tell me what is happening in the video game. Right now though, it makes no sense to me either.
  3. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    If you sat on a perch you'd notice a fishy scent as well.
    The joke lies in the fact that birds normally perch on things which are less, umm, ichthyoid.
  4. AER1018 Member

American English
    I get it now, xqby. I didn't know a perch was a fish. I am unsure about how common this joke is in English though.
  5. Titelle Member

France, French
    Wow, you are so quick in answering!
    The context in the game I am translating is just one character telling and repeating this joke to another one who really cannot get it. Nothing before, nothing after.
    I understand now the "perche" pun. We also have a "perche" fish in French, but the stick they sit on is called a "perchoir". I will just have to find another silly joke then.
    Thanks a lot to both of you!
  6. liliput

liliput Senior Member

U.K. English
    I've heard this joke and I think it's funny. I'm not sure how to respond to a question about how common it is. The thing is with jokes; once they become common they immediately become uncommon because everyone's heard them already and so people stop telling them. This type of joke, involving a play on words, is certainly common in English. Some examples:

A man walks into a bar and says "Ow!"

Two old ladies sitting in the park were flashed at by a strange man. One of them had a stroke but the other one couldn't reach.
  7. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    I hadn't heard it before (nor your second joke, though that's probably because it doesn't work in AE). But yeah, it's a pretty neat pun.

P.S. Un-deux-trois cat and One-two-three cat decided to have a race across the Channel. They left at the same time and were capable of swimming at the same speed. Which one won?

P.P.S. Are dumb jokes still on-topic?
  8. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Uh-oh -- I have a strong suspicion that it was one-two-three, because un-deux-trois cat sank....
  9. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Grumpy Moderator Note:
    Sorry. No joke threads.