'journal review,' journals review' or 'review of journals'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Renatrix, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    There's a column in a journal published at a university where they review different journals in the same field (education). What should it be called:
    1. Journal review?
    2. Journals review?
    3. Review of journals?

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Probably (1). Does the review not have a name already, or are you the editor looking to christen it?

3. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    It's not a review. It's a periodical (biannual) and it has a name already. It has several columns: research papers, articles and treaties, polemics, reports. In the final column, they review other journals - it's something like a press review but it includes only journals in the field. This column is now called 'Journals Review,' but I'm not sure if it's correct.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    When I said 'review', I was referring to the column in question, which reviews journals (hence review).

Again, probably (1); maybe (2); though not (3) - solely on the basis that it's too long. See what others think. :)

5. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Hello, Renatrix. I share Beryl's preference for "Journal Review". No matter how many journals are being reviewed, there isn't any need to pluralize "journal" in a name like "Journal Review".

6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Actually, I'd pluralize "review": Journal Reviews.

It reviews journals, right? Well, a column that reviews movies wouldn't be called "Movies Review"; it would be called "Movie Reviews".

7. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    But there is 'press review,' not 'press reviews'...

8. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Parla's suggestion is a good one for the title of a column. I'd probably use "Journal Review" if it were the title of a magazine.

9. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    That's because "press" is typically used as a collective noun. "The press" refers to printed (consumer) media in general. Journals aren't referred to that way.

10. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    I choose the 'Journal Reviews' then. Thank you:).