1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

jump feet first into...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by swim4life, Nov 23, 2008.

1. swim4life Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Chinese, China
    Brian Tracy has made millions from jumping feet first into the American "success industry" by recycling the same old stuff over and over and over.

Could you tell me the meaning of "jump feet first into" in this sentence? Thanks.

2. Pidginboy Senior Member

India-Local dialect
    Being the pioneer or the one who plunges first into a new profession. We often call him 'first mover'.

3. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    I think it means much the same as "diving straight in", usually implying entering into something rashly, or at least in a bold manner or very enthusiastically, with minimal reflection.

Bear in mind that this isn't an expression used in my part of the world, so some confirmation/refutal would be nice.

4. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

When you jump into a pool you are afraid at the beginning. So, to make sure, you jump feet first, not head first. Just in case.
    I think, therefore, that Brian Tracy jumped into the American "success industry" very cautiously, without risking much. Evading the dangerous or loss-prone ventures.

5. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    Sorry, no. Cropje_jnr has it. It's a metaphor for jumping into something with no reservation. By jumping in feet first, you take a running leap into the pool (or, in this case, the 'success industry') or just jump in.
    (The only precaution is by jumping in feet first, you don't hit your head and drown.)

6. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

I could admit that it means to vanquish our first fears of entering an unknown enterprise, but with some rational care. Not rashly. To dive into a pool is not going into it feet first, but head first. I would need more explanation.

7. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    It is hardly logical to think that jumping "first first" and "head first" metaphorically mean the same thing, losilmer. On that point, we agree!

That said, if you look at this phrase as it is used on the Internet, it's clear that the meaning is not to do with caution, but with enthusiasm or haste.

Furthermore, if you "jump into" something, it is the complete opposite to entering into something cautiously or with reservation. If you want to enter a swimming pool cautiously, you "ease" in, you certainly don't jump!

8. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    This is from the Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms:
    jump in with both feet, jump in feet first: to become involved in something very quickly, often without thinking carefully about it first: Take time to think things over before you make a decision, don't jump straight in with both feet.

9. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

You convinced me. So, cautionless or rashly jump is welcome. Thanks.