jura de la bandera

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by shasha1995, Jun 26, 2009.

1. shasha1995 Junior Member

spanish mexican
    How would you translate "Certificado de Jura de la bandera", I am translating a list of requirements to register for nursing school in Uruguay, I am not familiar with what it means so I'm not sure if my translation is correct "Certificate of allegiance to the flag"

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. David Senior Member

Certificado de jura de la bandera means literally, "Certificate of pledge of allegiance to the flag." I suspect it is something like what used to be called in the US "a loyalty oath," a mandatory statement by a citizen that he is not a traitor to his own country. Dictatorships and very conservative governments love them. This one, however, may not apply to foreign students. I suggest a search of "jura de la bandera uruguay" and you will probably turn up the details.

3. David Senior Member

I checked with an uruguaya friend. She tells me it is a document commonly required, a written oath of allegiance to the flag. The various translations, in any given context, would be obvious (whatever one's opinion about such oaths)... As a foreigner, you might be exempt.

4. shasha1995 Junior Member

spanish mexican
    Great help! Thank you!