1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Justified, justification, "justly"'

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How do you translate these words in your language?

In Dutch:
    - verantwoorden (containing answer)
    - terecht (right-ly)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi TK,

In Greek:

Justified: «Δικαιωμένος, -νη, -νο» /ðice.o'menos ðice.o'meni ðice.o'meno/ (masc. fem. neut.), Present Participle of the verb «δικαιώνoμαι» /ðice'onome/ --> to be justified, vindicated, Mediopassive voice of the verb «δικαιώνω» /ðice'ono/ --> to justify, vindicate; a derivation of the Classical verb «δικαιόω/δικαιῶ» dĭkæ'ŏō [uncontracted]/dĭkæ'ō [contracted] --> to set right, deem right, from the feminine noun «δίκη» 'dīkē (in MG /'ðici/) --> order, right, legal proceedings, personification of Justice in ancient religion (daughter of Zeus and Themis), in MG only legal proceedings, trial (PIE base *deik-, to point out; cf. Skt. दिशति (dizati), to point out; Lat. dicere > Fr. dire, Sp. decir; Eng. teach; Ger. zeigen & zeihen)
    Justification: Fem. noun «δικαίωση» /ði'ceosi/ a Classical third declension fem. noun «δικαίωσις» dĭ'kæōsīs --> lit. setting things right, doing justice

3. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian: verantwoorden = felel, that Hungarian verb has 2 main meanings 1) to answer, reply, respond 2) be responsible for
    But I must confess I have always had problems to understand the words justify, justification, etc....even the Hungarian words translated confuse me a lot.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Your translation seems close to Dutch: you could explain 'justify' as 'to account for'.

5. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    From my Russian side, I consider these words as a pecularity of the English language. The closest verb would be "оправдать" ("to show right", "to show true", or, more exactly, "to show decent"), it seems, but in most cases this verb doesn't fit as a translation, so a translator has to employ various walkarounds (this word is a mix of the English noun "a workaround" and of the corresponding Russian expression "обходной путь", which means almost the same and literally translates as a "bypass route").

The Russian for "justice" is "справедливость" (note the similar root in red; it's the same as in the word "праведный" — "righteous", "just", "pious").

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Indeed, 'right' or 'justus' in Latin, also fair... It is interesting to hear that there is no true synonym, that you need a paraphrase ( I do love a 'walk/ workaround' though). There is alsothe common expresson: you rightly say, you are right when you say...

7. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Well, I've just remembered: you can "обосновать" something, that is, to present its inner base, its reason to exist.

It works like: "you need to justify your position" — "обоснуйте, пожалуйста". (I hope I understand correctly the usage of the English word; if you say "хочу оправдать свою позицию", it sounds like you're already accused, which I believe the English word doesn't mean).

But still, it doesn't work for all the cases.

8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Could you spell the root word? /oshov// ??? ;-(

9. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian:

Almost all words that have to do with justice/justification seem to have the root -прав-; -прав(е)д- /prav/; /praved/. The root is Slavic and has the meaning of “right” (both the direction and “rightness/justness”).

Justified: оправданный/opravdannyi/ - lit. around-righted

Justification: оправданность /opravdannost’/ lit. around-righted-edness; правомерность /pravomernost’/ - lit. right-measure-ness

Justly: справедливо /spravedlivo/ - lit. together-right

Justice: справедливость /spravedlivost/ - lit. together-rightness, закон/zakon/ - lit. law

P.S. Cross-posted with e2-e4

10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    The root word (a noun) is "оснóва" (a base, a basis), and it can be transliterated as "osnova".

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, both of you !

12. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Two words come to my mind.

aklanmak: to be acquitted (from Tukic ak: white, clean) probably also related to khagan itself. The suffix lan means "be smeared with" in this context.

haklı çıkmak: justified (probably from Arabic Hak) . The suffix gives the word the meaning of "consisting of". "çık" means "turn out to be" in this context.

13. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Spanish:

- justificado
    - justificación
    - justamente (as opposed to 'justificadamente')

14. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Japanese:

Justified: 正当 seitou. Correct/justice + hit/right. (there are other ways to say justified, context is needed)

Justification: 正当化 seitouka (correct/justice + change); 言い訳 iiwake (say + circumstance) (this is more like an excuse); 理由 riyuu (logic + reason).

To justify: 正当化する seitouka suru

Justly:正しく tadashiku; 正当に seitouni

15. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    Related Tamil Words,

Seerthooku - Taking to rightness/goodness.
    Naermai - Straightness
    Neethi - rule, with rule.

16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    If any of you happens to read this, can you fit your words into these contexts (as I am not so sure we are referring to the same word):
    1. These expenses are not justified.
    2. He rightly says it's time.

17. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    1. Эти расходы не обоснованы. || Эти расходы не оправданы.
    2. Он правильно говорит, что пора. || Он говорит, что пора, и он прав.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  18. Alderamin Senior Member

Pt-PT
    In Portuguese:

Justified: justificado (masculine); justificada (feminine)
    Justification: justificação
    Justly: justamente
    Justifiable: justificadamente

1. These expenses are not justified. (Estas despesas não se justificam / não estão justificadas.)
    2. He rightly says it's time.(Ele diz justificadamente que chegou a hora / é agora.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  19. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    It is interesting to see how almost moral words turn up here, whereas we just use 'reply', 'response'... But I suddenly realize: we also have ver-rechtvaardig-en, just-ify. I susppose the first is used because we are challenged to justify something, whereas the real basis of the justification is some jkind of justice...

20. mataripis Senior Member

i encountered in Tagalog bible 1905, justified is "inaring ganap" and i can say that justification is "pag aaring ganap/matuwid" while justly is "makatuwiran".

21. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But what is the root, M? Where did you encounter it in that Bible? Oh, but I can imagine. I am just referring to the meaning to 'account for'.

IN Finnish the word or the basis of the word is said to be 'oikeus', something like justice.

22. mataripis Senior Member

The root word is "ganap" (perfect/complete). the term "inari" means part of/accepted as. those people who believes in Christ are called justified and become free from consequences of wrong doings of people around them.

23. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I see, thanks. But that is a very special use. I was referring to the verb we use when someone has to accournt for expenses s/he has made on behalf of an organisation: can he justify them, account for them, prove they were use for some good purpose or cause?

24. mataripis Senior Member

Then it is "pagsusulit" or sulitin (account for) in Tagalog.Pagsusulit is accounting or computation.